Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T-Bone Roast, grill or Que?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T-Bone Roast, grill or Que?

There was a ridiculous sale on T-Bone, choice, about $4.99 a lb at the local market. The steaks were pre-packaged to 3 or 4 per pack, 3/4" thick. I asked if they could cut them thicker, they said sure! How thick? I held up my hands to almost a foot apart. 10 minutes later I had a T-Bone roast to take home. I have never smoked one or roasted one before. Any suggestions?

Doesn't it get down to whether you like some smokey flavor or alot of flavor? And how fast do you want your roast to be ready?

Comment

• Towering Inferno
      Towering Inferno commented
      Editing a comment
      I have nothing but time for the ultimate cook. :-)

• Foehn Watts
      Foehn Watts commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, you should go for the low and slow wit' da smoke and perhaps a reverse sear at the end? Sounds good!

I’d probably cook at as I would a rib roast. Low and slow. Then what ever you can to get a sear on the outside.

Comment

• Towering Inferno
      Editing a comment
      I believe it will be a low and slow cook. I have been somewhat successful with a rib roast to start high to get a crust going then drop the temp. But that was in an oven. Will searing first impede smoke penetrating the meat in the low and slow process?

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Towering Inferno - I’ve also cooked a rib roast that way in the oven. But I haven’t not done that for a sear and then smoke.

I made a Crown Pork Roast a few years back, and also a rib roast, that I smoked first, low and slow and then used my gasser to get the final sear, just making sure to turn, roll, flip, whatever it is, to make sure I wasn’t overcooking internal, just getting a sear on the outside. Theory is, meat stops taking smoke at a certain point, so it could impede smoke.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Continued - perhaps a few others will chime in on that. But, I’m sure your final outcome is going to be great!

However you do it, post photos before and after please. I’ve never seen a piece of meat like that! Good luck with it.

Comment

• Towering Inferno
      Editing a comment
      I am tempted just to unwrap the roast just for a photo session. :-)

Originally posted by Jfrosty27 View Post
    However you do it, post photos before and after please. I’ve never seen a piece of meat like that! Good luck with it.
    This ^

Comment

• Towering Inferno
      Editing a comment
      I will post photos for sure. My jaw dropped when I saw the roast. Cooking it almost seems wrong it was so purty lol

+1 for low and slow to the strip Temp desired and then sear.

but what do i know, im just here for the pictures!

Comment

• Towering Inferno
      Editing a comment
      I believe now that I have a direction to go, and pictures to post when the time comes. Due to the bone that runs the length of the roast, carving out each cut will be interesting to say the least. Do you think, like a brisket, that the cuts on each side of the T bone cook at different speeds? Hmmmm...

• Schwyy
      Schwyy commented
      Editing a comment
      I've Never done this before, but just spitballin, i would cook whole with the tenderloin away from heat source and bring the strip side. i would keep together just for how cool it would look! even if the individual cuts would be better separately i would still tackle the roast project.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here