Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami Rub sitting time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami Rub sitting time

I have "better than Katz's" pastrami recipe hunk of flat in a bath right now and want to get a head start on planning the next steps.

the main question i have is about the variability of the step where you leave the rub on uncovered in the refrigerator to allow it to stick to the meat.

does anyone have experience with testing the upper and lower limits of this refrigerator time? I want to have it fresh for a weekend day which leaves me with a couple options:

1. put the rub on for 12 hours and cook earlier than meathead recommends. (too early for bark?)

2. put the rub on for 5 days and cook well well past where meathead recommends. (too long for spoilage/freshness?)

​​​​let me know if you have experience or opinions on which of the options will work better.

I generally let it sit 24ish hours, sometimes only 12 depending on how much time I have

Comment

I let it sit for AT LEAST 24 hours. But 3-4 days is the best. I will put the meat on an elevated wire rack and place that on a sheet pan to hang out in the fridge. This ensures I get goo airflow around the meat as the rub sets up on the meat. I like to smoke that slow and let the bark really set up and that fat to render with the rub.

I also like to spritz with 50% H20 and equal parts ACV, Liquid Aminos and champagne Vinegar. I make sure to hit the corners to keep the bark moist through out the cook.

Here are a few shots of some past pastrami cooks I have done. Nice, thick bark that is not hard and crusty

Click image for larger version

Name:	5E0027F8-ABC9-411E-88EE-BF3BF14193E7.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	901342Click image for larger version

Name:	010D8B8F-1B47-4583-B0DC-E4389E91B1AD.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	901343

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, you will be just fine. Schwyy

• Schwyy
        Schwyy commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks for sharing, next Saturday it is! hope it comes out half as good as yours!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I am sure it will! Schwyy

I tried smoking shortly after applying like a regular rub and it all peeled right off. Time constraint, NOT experimenting. Now mine sits for at least 2 days.

Comment

• Schwyy
        Schwyy commented
        Editing a comment
        I love this recipe so much but planning out the steps to have a perfectly ready on a day you want to cook it is so tough!

12 would work. 24 would be better. several days... I'd just not do. If it's one or the other, I'd freeze the cured meat, thaw it and do 24-48 hours when you have time. You do NOT want to smoke it to a high temp to safeguard against spoilage as that won't work. It's not the bugs that sicken you, it's the toxins produced which don't break down with heat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here