Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angus Whole Brisket at Sam's Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angus Whole Brisket at Sam's Club

Just picked up this beauty today. At only $2.68 a pound, what's not to like? Going into the freezer for now, but hope to get to it within a week and a half or two weeks.

I've only cooked flats before. I'm thinking I'll start it intact and then cut off the point part way through for burnt ends with my wife's KC-style sauce.

I also have a new bottle of Henrik Bonafide Beef Rub. Do I dry brine at all before the rub or does it have enough salt on its own?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1612(Edited).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	900691

In my experience using his rubs- dry brine lightly. Maybe half for starters. If you know you'll add rub lightly, then you could go ahead and dry brine the regular amount.

Are you opposed to wet aging those? Unless you're in a hurry to cook one, I suggest letting them go 30-40 days in your cold fridge before freezing. You might like the results.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, it makes a noticeable difference.

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      I dry brine just like normal and use Bonafide all the time and haven't had a problem with it being too salty. I do usually put the rub on pretty much right before the meat goes in the pit, so that might have something to do with it.

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Big thumbs up on the wet aging. I've had really good results with the 30 to 40 day range!

Wow. What a deal. You should have grabbed a few! 🤣 Anyway, good luck with the cook pitmaster!!

Comment

Huskee is spot on. Brine lightly, then get that rub on. Nice score, that brisket is gonna be good!

Comment

Like Huskee said, if you are going to cook that up in a week or two, just let it wet age for that time. I’m thinking a costco trip is needed this week so I can do the same for a September cook.

but that looks like a great piece of meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here