Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck Roast vs. Round Roast...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck Roast vs. Round Roast...

I asked for the former. She brought home the latter. I think I’m going to just tell her dinner will be served on Monday. 😂🤣

Mrs. O’Leary’s Cow Crust, indirect until 115 internal, then direct, 5 minutes per side until 125 internal. Slice thin. Great eating.😋

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect advice. Add a bit of wood to the fire and get some smoke on it. Make some Secretariat horseradish sauce. Serve it up on sourdough rolls with some thin sliced raw onions. Pure heaven!

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      What's your cooker temp when you are on indirect, or did you already say ?

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Somewhere around 250F. I don’t really pay that much attention to keeping a steady temperature when indirect. I do want hot flames when direct cooking.

Do them all the time
    follow the above advice and you won’t be disappointed

Comment

Can you show us a picture of it ?

I had a little trouble with toughness with round, though when I got it right and sliced it thin, great stuff !

Made me want to buy a commercial grade slicer just to slice up round for sandwiches.

A ridiculous idea, of course. But I did shop them online ! ! !

Comment

• Razor
        Razor commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a bad idea. You can usually find a decent one on sale for ~ $100. Makes beef jerky a whole lot easier to make.

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Serious, a hundred bucks ? ? ?

Maybe the pandemic has driven up the prices, just like chest freezers were almost impossible to find, and meat was scarce. I looked a little on Craigslist, ebay (shipping would be alot). I figured it would be around I forget $500+ ? Plus they are pretty big and I live in a small place.

Still, if someone gave me one or I could pick it up not too expensive, I'd make room !

zzdocxx If you meant photos of the finished product then here
      Click image for larger version

Name:	A7F82EA5-448F-498A-9DCF-E63B19BA1FDD.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	900192

Comment

• Charley Langer
        Charley Langer commented
        Editing a comment
        I decided to go sous-vide-que before I posted this. I’m generally following Clint’s advice: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...d-roast-recipe. Next time I’m going to try indirect to 115 IT, and sear to 125. Donw That looks really darn good!

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Shazzam ! ! !

Of course I wanted a picture, what are you talking about ? ? ?

How tender was it, on the Rockwell scale ?

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
      Do them all the time
      follow the above advice and you won’t be disappointed
      Thanks for chiming in! I will do it that way next time.

Comment

No problem found a few picks of the last round I did
        Donw is more rare and juicy, I got distracted and let the inside temp get away from me, went to 140 but rounds seem to be forgiving. Still tasty
        Can’t remember if I used cherry or pecan but takes smoke really well.
        And leave in fridge till last moment and onto the grill it does make a difference
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Pic links broken, smokin fool

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          yeesh

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          So SRY to report: also zero pics, here. Win 10 / Mozilla platform...

Try this again
        Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          welp looks like I'm schnookered

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          4-10, ya are, apparently, at th moment...

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
        No problem found a few picks of the last round I did
        Donw is more rare and juicy, I got distracted and let the inside temp get away from me, went to 140 but rounds seem to be forgiving. Still tasty
        Can’t remember if I used cherry or pecan but takes smoke really well.
        And leave in fridge till last moment and onto the grill it does make a difference
        Nice Pics. 😂 But I will leave in fridge to last second. My plan is to sous-vid, quick chill, dry rub, refrigerate, smoke to 125 IT next day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here