Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porterhouse trim ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porterhouse trim ?

Im cooking 3 of these tonight for a family meal, probably on the kettle.
    . I am wondering if it makes sense to separate the filet and strip from the bone and trim them up a little?
    . Just thinking then i could hit my target temps easier for each section
    any suggestions??? Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_101434.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	899935

That's not a bad idea if you don't care about a big in-tact steak. I suppose it's like separating a brisket. Might matter a bit less on a steak than a brisket but won't hurt.

Comment

I wouldn’t and here’s why.

1. You pay for that "cut."
      2. The bone is kinda like insurance.
      3. You would only cook three steaks instead of six.
      4. They will not trim up as well.
      5. You already have a finished product.
      6 It looks pretty.
      7. You’ll end who with 6 small portions and not enough bones to really do anything with in a short period of time.

IMHO..... don’t overthink it. Cook quality meat well and it will be delicious and tender.

Dont stress on 134° or 139° as quality meat don’t care.

Did I mention that these are pretty? Why shouldn’t the family get some show pieces every now and then.

Recap. Just cook them well and it will be a home run.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        ^^^^^^ This!!!!

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Took the words right out of my mouth!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Speaking my language

Cook like HouseHomey says, then separate from the bone and slice and have the presentation back in place with the bone.

But, yes, cook whole! And enjoy those things! Those call for a pour of your favorite bourbon while cooking!

Comment

Yup the only knife I’d that to those is a steak knife on a dinner plate

Comment

NO!

That is all.

Comment

Don’t separate and trim. If you’re gonna do that you might as well have bought a sirloin strip and some tenderloin separately, and at a lower price.

Grill it, serve it, and let your family cut/carve on the plate.

Comment

Thanks for the advice all! Worked out great
              Attached Files

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh man!! Look at that. You had 3? That is some steak right there!

Yes sir HouseHomey Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_173001.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	900452Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_181911.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	900453

Comment

• barelfly
                barelfly commented
                Editing a comment
                The one on the left in the precook and middle on the grill! Now that’s a porterhouse steak!!!!! No wonder you didn’t touch one of them! Ha! Great cook!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here