Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef ribs

Hi all,
    sometime early this year someone in this forum asked what members wanted to get better at. My answer was beef ribs, so I thought I’d challenge myself on this. Time for beef ribs!

The raw material

Click image for larger version

Name:	beefribs_raw.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	89871

Beef ribs, trimmed:

Name:	beefribs_trimmed.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	89873

I got a hefty piece of beef ribs from an Argentinian butcher. 5.5 lbs of pure goodness. I trimmed the fat cap off, it is really good quality saturated fat, so I’m saving that in the freezer so I can render my own beef fat later.
    Anyhow, after trimming the meat I rinsed it in cold water, to get rid of the bone residue from the saw. I then patted it dry, applied a dry brine and left it in the fridge overnight.
    Roughly two hours before cooking I rubbed it with my bbq rub, then put it back in the fridge.
    I had my Big Green Egg fired up, got it running at around 280° F. I wanted to go a bit lower, but every now and then it fights me a little. Oh well, 280 is ok also. After around 2.5 hours the inner temp was around 140° F, so I decided to brush it liberally with Sweet Baby Rays (hickory & brown sugar). I then left it for a few more hours, until I had the inner temperature reach 203° F. Total cooking time was a little over 7 hours.

Half time, brushed with bbq sauce

Name:	beefribs_brushed.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	89872
    When the meat was done, I remove it from the grate and wrap it in aluminum foil and then a towel, i.e. the well known faux cambro.
    Then I just sliced it and made some good sandwiches. Nice and simple.

Ready to eat!

Name:	beefribs.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	89875

Smoke ring

Name:	beefribs_cut.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	89870

Attached Files

Nice cook from another Egghead. Great smoke ring!

Comment

Great job!!

Comment

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Comment

Thanks!! This did turn out a lot better than last time. I think the key was to just wait it out (as always).

Comment

Bingo!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here