Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too long to brine a brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too long to brine a brisket?

Because of some travel commitments coupled with timing of when we are hosting a dinner, I have to decide whether to dry brine an 11-lb brisket either (a) 36-40hrs before smoking or (b) just 2hrs prior to smoking. Any views on which to choose? Very much appreciate the help!

I like 3 days on my briskets, 2 minimum.

Comment

Thanks Jerod!

Comment

I used dry Morton's Quick Cure (has nitrate and nitrite) on beef plate ribs (one side had the bones and tissue and the topside had a fat layer)...four days. Rinse it off and smoked, it was pretty well cured to the state of corned beef. Oh yes, it was not bad at all...Unable to stop saliva drip. If you use that cure, I'd think two days and a rinse would work great for flavor. No more salt! Rub with spices only. I have a nice prime 13 lb brisket that I was looking at two days cure for flavor and color.

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
          ddmcwhirter commented
          Editing a comment
          I usually don't brine briskets but instead salt them pretty good before adding spice rubs. On a damp brisket, the salt disappears. Then smoking for twelve hours or more followed by some hours of cambro....that's a lot of time for salt to move through the meat.

Been cookin fer a spell/quite some time...

Don't rightly reckon that I've never heared me of a brisket 'brined too long', in my memory

Comment

• ddmcwhirter
          ddmcwhirter commented
          Editing a comment
          Now I'm wondering who might have brined or cured a brisket and then put it in an aging bag.

I haven't done ANYWHERE NEAR the number of briskets as Jarod, but the last one I did dry brined for just short of 3 days and it was good

Comment

2 to 3 days is fine, so you will be OK.

Comment

Appreciate all the comments

Comment

I've got one in the fridge, coarse kosher brined and wrapped in butcher paper, for four days. I keep running out of the time needed to smoke it right. I'm expecting it to be getting better as it rests.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here