Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing With Butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing With Butter

Finishing With Butter

A few years back, I saw one of those TV shows where they go to different steakhouses. They went to one in NYC which I think they said was the oldest and first in the US.

After they take their steaks out from under the flame broiler, and just before serving, they douse it with melted butter.

I tried it on some ribeye that probably didn't need it but yes it was rich and delish.

I have also used it a time or two when I had some beef that came out a smidge dry.

Right now I'm thinking about a brisket I have in the faux cambro, and the flat might be a little dry. So you see where I am going with this.

On another line of thinking, could one use previously rendered tallow (sparingly) in the same fasion? I've got some in the freezer but I don't happen to have any jus.

So what do you all think ? Both in general and for a potentially dry brisket ?

Butter ? Tallow ?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I first read this as "Fishing With Butter". I was wondering if fish really like their worms or crankbaits buttered up first...maybe they do....

Yes, we call this "beef love", and you can paint steaks with it prior to searing. Although I think butter (& garlic & herbs too) will taste better for using as a flavoring finish. And yes for brisket too. I like to use any juices that remain if I've used foil on brisket, pork butts, chucks, etc, and drizzle of the pulled meat, or slices if brisket. If you don't wrap or if you use paper then you won't have any pooled rendered "jus" to use this way so butter or tallow might work, but I suggest add it to the slices on your plate (or the carving board) not to the unsliced meat for best effect.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      You might catch some butterfish. Good idea we should try it.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      zzdocxx I had a dream once that I was searching for "butter trout" in the store for a recipe my wife wanted to make. Couldn't find it, even in dreamland.

Try a compound butter on your steaks - delish!

Comment

Certainly couldn’t hurt to try!
      I often use a compound butter on steaks, but see why it couldn’t be used on some brisket.

Comment

I love it but just too rich for a guy with a family history of heart problems.
        I typically (over) butter my baked potato so get the run off from that and along with the juices from the steak.
        Then there's always the run off from the meat platter....

Comment

• zzdocxx
          zzdocxx commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear you, I should go vegetarian.

Maybe I should start looking at the veggie section. Trouble is the darn Traeger, while it gives great smoke flavor, it just doesn't sear that well.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          zzdocxx Most pellet cookers don’t.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here