Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks vs. Cooks - Bust Another Myth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Man
    replied
    The Slow N Sear will get the coals closer to the grate so they will sear much faster. You can also put a grate directly on a charcoal chimney for the afterburner method. Thicker steaks will also help. Also an IR thermometer means infrared, you have an instant read, people will be confused if you refer to it as IR.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    started a topic Looks vs. Cooks - Bust Another Myth?

Looks vs. Cooks - Bust Another Myth?

Thanks to you good folks, this newbie has gone from hockey puck hamburgers to delicious rib eyes! Here's a question from my latest adventure:

I wanted to serve inch-thick rib eye steaks medium rare. I got the grate really hot, two-zone setup ... you know how it goes. Nice sizzle when I put the steaks on. When the time came to flip them, I noticed that the bottom sides looked nicely cooked, but they didn't have that dark, seared crust that everyone talks about. Thinking I had done something wrong, I left the steaks on a little longer. On flipping, they looked great, so I also left the other side on the grate longer than I originally planned.

To make a long story short, my IR thermometer was at the pull for medium well, and that's how the steaks ultimately came out. Delicious, but medium well. Had I flipped them sooner and not left them on the grill for so long, they would have been medium rare. So you can guess at my question:

How can I get that dark, seared crust, without overcooking my steaks, or should I not worry about the crust and just go for the good taste?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here