Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking First Brisk Now ! Please advise !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this prime brisk was $3.49/lb. I probably trimmed away a third of it, which would bring the price to around $5+ per pound.

To tell the truth, I think I prefer tri-tip, prime, for around $8-9/lb. But, there is no trimmed waste, and it cooks up beautifully in about 90 minutes if I give it a good smoke treatment for 45 minutes.

I guess if it had come out incredible I would probably feel different. It came out "OK", which is most likely due to operator error.

Having said that, this has been a challenge and a learning experience and it was pretty fun and interesting.

How do you guys and gals view this aspect of cooking a brisket? ie evaluate the $cost/value/time ?
    Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah perhaps, it was a project for me including the trimming.

As I posted last week, I went for medium rare on my chucks, I did sous vide on one of them. The problem was that there was sooooo much fat !

I don't know if cooking them to probe tender would have rendered a lot of that fat out ?

When I was a kid, we thought it was a real treat to eat chuck steak, the ~1" thick ones, fried in a cast iron pan on the stove! I think it was 29¢/lb, so it was cheap for my mom in those days !

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Honestly, I prefer smoked chuck to smoked brisket. It's usually cheaper (not as much to trim off) and tastes delicious. You smoke it the same way you do a brisket, (I inject chuckies just like I do briskets with Butcher's BBQ Phosphate mixed with homemade roasted beef broth). It's not as ornery as brisket can be. As long as you start with well-marbled chuckies, you're golden. Here's a great topic on chuck roast smoking: Chuck Roast

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, link didn't work. Here's the URL, which, when I posted it in my previous comment, caused it to run out of available characters.

Last week I just happened upon these two beauties while shopping at Costco. These are Angus Chuck Roasts that together weigh in at a little under 5 lbs. I brought

K.

Proceeding on to make some jus, I found a bit leftover that I saved from last week's project, though I don't remember what it was . . .

I'm going to freelance a recipe, using aspects of the one linked and some others I saw online. Bc I don't have all the ingredients, and also I am lazy !

Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 07:39 PM.

Comment

OK here is what I did for jus.

I didn't need 5 cups. I had about 2/3 cup of jus from last week.

First, a small hunk of tallow in pan and carmelized some onions along with some ground celery seed, garlic powder, and chili powder.

Dumped the jus into the pan and heated it up. Tasting along the way, I added some red wine, some red wine vinegar, some salt, a little Worcestershire, and a total of a cup or so of "better than bullion" broth. in increments Checked several times and added Umami from Trader Joe's, butter, and a little more vinegar. Finally it was pretty perfect.

I was so surprised that this could be done.

The mostly shredded flat was in a tupperware container and I poured in 1/4 cup at a time. I actually did that about 4 times total, because even after closing and rotating/mixing the contents, no jus ever collected on the bottom of the container, to my surprise. It seemed like the dry meat just sucked it right up. How that would happen I have no idea. Then I poured more over both side of the half dozen remaining full slices. Done !

BTW the meat doesn't taste like it has some special sauce poured over it, it tastes completely natural, how does that work ?

Don't mean to be such a pest with all this posting, but I feel the least that I can do to repay all you good people for your help and advice is to report back.

Thanks !

Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice job! When your taste buds are happy, you know you've made the right move.

I'm riding along with Steve R. and Red Man who recommended that you stop worrying about temps at the end of the cook where much of the flat and point were probe tender. You're never going to have perfect tenderness and temp everywhere in a brisket.

A lot of things even out, tenderness-wise during a long cambro session. That's it's job. I've gone up to 4 to 5 hours in a faux cambro when necessary, although I usually aim for 2-3 hours.

I also agree with BFlynn about the Texas Mop Sauce. It's pretty tasty. If part of a flat is too dry for our liking, I chop it up and mix with Texas Mop Sauce for sammies the next day.

Good plan to leave a fat layer the next time you trim a brisket. It adds to the moistness of the meat as it gets mixed in with the bite. Usually 1/8" or so works for my family so the slices are not too fatty.

Those briskets looks they eat pretty good.
      The next ones will be even better.

Kathryn

Comment

Thanks so much for your comment Kathryn. I actually want to amend my previous conclusion about the result.

I have found recently that after a long cook with a lot of smoke, sampling little bits, and so forth, that I am not enthralled with the result. But then the next day I try it again and it is quite good.

Last night I had a slice from the point with some bread and it was very nice. Moister than the point was. Also, the point was pretty good after the jus was added to it.

Another thing. I pulled and cut up the flat and gave it to my mom's caregiver to take home with them and when she put it in a large ziplock freezer bag I only then realized how much meat it was. And that was just the flat. So I got an appreciation for how much meat it actually is, although I think there is a bit less meat on the point.

Yeah, trimming the fat to that extent was accidental when I got in between the point and flat.

I also see how cooking them together insulates about 2/3 of one side of the flat from getting dried out on the surface, as it would be on the inside and face with a large fat layer.

It was a lot of trouble, but strangely I sort of want to do it again just to see if I can make it turn out perfect. Weird huh ? I would just as soon eat something else but I think the bbqing has become an obsession during this bit of downtime.

Final verdict? Worthwhile, unless I start hearing smoke complaints from the neighbors.
        Last edited by zzdocxx; August 19, 2020, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here