Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking First Brisk Now ! Please advise !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking First Brisk Now ! Please advise !

Just put my first brisket on the Traeger smoker grill at 250F about an hour ago. Might have been wise to wait till later but I was impatient to get it started. I will post a couple of pics from my phone in a few minutes.

Long story but I ended up splitting the brisket between flat and point, for better or for worse. I should probably have cut more off the thin end of the flat, but whatever, it is my first one !

Requesting advice !

1. Did I put enough seasoning on it? It is Harry Soo recipe with just salt, pepper, and ground celery seed. (see pic below)

2. At what temp should I take it out and wrap it (If I do should I turn up the temp to 300?) I have some pink no wax butcher paper.

3. Or I could just let it go (if I do that do I keep the temp the same?)

4. Should I expect them to get up to temp quicker due to separating them?

5. Is 250 an OK temp to cook them ?

6. At what temp or time do I start hourly shpritzing with water ?

Pics to follow

Thanks ! ! ! (I hope someone is still up at this hour !!)

Here are the pics, it's dark out so not sure how much is visible.

I probably trimmed off too much fat, there are some weird spots on the fat cap side.

I put a little piece of wood underneath per Harry Soo tip, to prevent puddles.

Should I add more rub to the top of these?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zzdocxx; August 15, 2020, 11:37 PM.

Comment

My 2 cents

1} I would season it more. But I generally use more seasoning than recipes call for.

2/3} I wrap when I think the bark looks good, not necessarily at a temp..... But it seems to be about 180ish most of the time. I wouldn't turn the heat up. You are starting early & have plenty of time.

4} Separating will make it cook a little faster. But you can also pull each half off when it's finished.

5} 250 is a great temp.

6} no clue about spritzing. I've never spritzed anything.....

Unsolicited input -
      ​​​​​I like making the Texas mop sauce for all my beef.

Looking forward to seeing this cook!
      Last edited by BFlynn; August 15, 2020, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Someone else is up at this hour ! Great answers, thanks !

Reviewed H. Soo 10 tips vid, he BLACKENS with the rub. So I put on more, not too much I hope !

In the flat, I've got the built-in thermometer, which runs ~10F hotter than both Thermoworks.

I've got the Thermoworks Dot in the point.

They are in the 135-145 range. Double checked with Thermopen.

Surprised the flat is not as hot as the point.

I wonder why ?
        Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 02:12 AM.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree more seasoning needed
        When I put rub on you can’t see any meat it’s so thick
        Also find brown sugar helps with bark formation, not traditional but works for me

Lookin good, more SPOG surely won't hurt ya none
      Wrap if ya wanna, I never bother doin so, but it makes some folks happy, so be it...
      I jus put me a pan o beans up underneath, an let it ride

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks MB.

I don't want to wrap, b/c I'll have to do it around 3 to 5am and I've never done it. And I want it to come out more crusty than soft.

I shpritzed it a couple of times, more around the thinner edges where it looks like it could dry out.

I should have trimmed off more of the thin parts and left more fat, first time, we'll just see how it comes out.

Built-in thermo reading 154, alarm set for 195, 2am here, rest time.

Fingers crossed, thanks for the support !

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        This far into yer cook, don't never second guess yerself...
        Just ride it out, amigo
        Yer gonna be fine!

Mr. Bones and zzdocxx you guys are night owls. I hate staying up all night for cooks. I like setting and forgetting the Boston Butt putting it on around 8pm and letting it ride for 12-14 hours before pulling and wrapping it in the ice chest to serve at noon. The briskets I have cooked usually take 8-10 hours. When I separate the point from the flat the point seems to cook faster. I have no explanation for that.

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        A couple of weeks' downtime due to corona impact, staying up later and later.
        One advantage to the Traeger for me is being able to set the temp. No tinkering with fire, (fun as that is).
        At ~0700 my point is 175-185F w thermopen, point is 190-200F.
        Maybe b/c the flat is more dense ?
        Update below!

Well, you've certainly had a long night. Looks like you've got a good plan going. Let us know how it turns out.

You've got a good teacher in Harry Soo and have gotten some great advice already, including that one from Mr. Bones who knows his beans (pun intended) . Nothing like beef and beans. Unless it's pork and beans. Or beans and beans.

Enjoy the cook!

Kathryn

Comment

• zzdocxx
        zzdocxx commented
        Editing a comment
        Set the temp alarms and crashed ~0230.
        Not sure how to do beans, need an oven proof dish presumably. Do you guys make them from scratch then or ?
        At this hour of the morning I have been contemplating cooking some oatmeal in a pyrex measuring cup, I wonder how that would work out ?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Brisket without beanz is like a day without sunshine

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        zzdocxx , to my mind, Mr. Bones is the bean expert around here. You should see some of his posts when he whips them up. Just put his handle and the word "beans" in the advanced search engine here, and you'll get some tasty hits.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; August 16, 2020, 11:49 AM.

Per above, the cliff notes:
      Currently at ~0700,
      Point 190-200F, probe tender almost everywhere.
      Flat 180-190F, not probe tender.
      Tasted a crumb of crust left on Thermopen, wow tasty ! ! ! Peppery too, remember I put on a bunch more rub a few hours in.
      Pics from cell phone to follow.

Comment

Meteorites

Attached Files
        Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing wrong with that

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Does it taste as good as it tests? Double WOW!
          (That’s two to you in Oconomowoc). 👍👍👍

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh so nice!

K.

Update/Question

The front part of the point, where there is sort of a hump, is the only place where it is not extremely probe tender. The temp there is also reading a little lower, in the 190s. The rest of the point is 203-209.

Do I just keep going till the thick part of the point gets probe tender?

(starting to get hungry)

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd quit messing with the probes in the point. Get the flat to your liking and the point is just along for the ride. It will be fine.
          Last edited by Steve R.; August 16, 2020, 09:23 AM.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed
          If you have the temp, look and feel put her to bed for a few hours
          The rest will even things out so to speak

Update ~12 hours in:

I took the point out and wrapped it in peach paper, then a big towel, then put it in a cooler.

I noticed the flat was ~10F cooler on the top side (have been cooking fat side down).

I was thinking about wrapping it and putting it back on the grill, but instead I did something I haven't heard of, which is I just took it and turned it over so the fat side is now up.

It is a Traeger pellet grill with indirect heat, but heat does come up through the drip pan, making that side hotter.

So I'm hoping to heat up that colder side. I turned down the temp to 225F.

On another note, when I flipped the flat, I squidged of a tiny piece of the edge and tasted it .

Wow wow wow ! Not quite as spicy as the but of crust from the thermometer earlier but tender and flavorful. Almost made me think I ought to take it off and wrap and cambro now. But I am going to wait till the temp on that side comes up a bit. Right now it is around 189-190F. The thing is that the hot side is 205-210F already . . .

Thoughts ?

Comment

Don’t focus so much on the precise temps. Your in that temp range now where you’re just looking for probe tender. I often flip brisket about 3/4 of the way through the cook. I would not turn the cooker temp down this late in the cook. I’ve found a drop in cooker temp this late in the cook can cause a second stall.

Comment

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang you called it, I was just coming back to post about stalling out at 185-190 for the last 90 minutes or so ! ! !

My thinking in turning it down was that the previously bottom side was up to temp and I didn't want to turn it into beef jerky. Just feeling my way along !

But I am going to be patient with this and not rush it, what would be the point of that ?

Well I just turned it up to 250 on my phone, convenient, that.
            Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 11:30 AM.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with the Red dude. This is not precision brain surgery. Cook it Danno & enjoy the eatin!

If it's tender and tasty, I'd wrap and cambro

Comment

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not sure how tender the flat is yet. The temp is still a little low and the probe doesn't go in like it did in the point.

But I was reading that the flat is made of tighter and denser muscle tissue than the point. Does that make a qualitative difference in how the probe would feel ?

Should I nip off a little piece from a corner or end to test it out ? What's the protocol on this ?
            Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 11:35 AM.

Update:

The flat got up to 199F and I pulled a 3-4" piece off one edge, along the grain as it were.

Kind dry. I recognize that it was the edge but I have a feeling the whole piece will be on the dry side. I think it will still be good though with a good crust.

I wrapped it in pink butcher's, then in a large towel and put it in the cooler with the point.

I'm thinking if I had some jus I could pour it over, but I don't. What about how some places do with steaks, pour some butter on it ? I did spray a little avocado oil before the rub and once during the cook.

So how can I moisten this up ?
          Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
            BFlynn commented
            Editing a comment
            Texas mop sauce!
            Recipe is on the free side.

In Texas the traditional barbecue sauce recipe is usually more like a tomato soup, thin and spicy, it penetrates the meat.

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            The point will likely be awesome as is. If the flat is dry, chill and later slice it thin and fry up some onions and add the slices mop up the pan juices. When hot put everything in a sandwich and cover with cheese. Melt cheese under broiler if necessary.

Or pan fry the slices up in some fat, cook eggs over easy after the slices are done, plate and cover with hollandaise. Muffins optional.

• zzdocxx
            zzdocxx commented
            Editing a comment
            BF that sounds interesting ! I note that the recipe calls for either butter or tallow.

Polar Bear OMG that sounds yummy ! As a matter of fact, the lady who cleans my house and helps take care of my mom helped me with the trim. We usually go back and cut the meat off the trim, thence into little pieces. I said to put some in the frying pan so we could see how it would be, she sliced up some onions, wow it really makes a flavorful combo !

Waiting for my mom to arrive.

Is there any limit to how long I can keep the briskee in the fauxal cambroxal ?

Comment

Had a big long post here, disappeared somehow.

Summary.

-Do a better job trimming, leaving more fat. When I separated the point and flat, pre-cooking, I took too much fat from the flat side. In trimming the hump, I pulled on the fat and it dissected right off the muscle fascia, leaving it bare.
            Try not to over cook, which is a tricky call to make.

-Flat a bit dry, pulled most of it for sandwiches or whatever.
            -Point more moist but a little more tender than I like (cut across grain).
            -Crust was intense when i tried a crumb midway through, but not so much flavor after finished cooking (why?) Result of overcooking?
            -I feel like over all I erred on the side of overcooking due to inexperience and not wanting it to com out tough. I was following the temps . . . still not sure how to judge that.
            -Edges with crust came out so dry and hard that I left them out of the pulled part.

Trimming was interesting, I think I did an OK job of keeping it kind of rounded without corners and flaps hanging out. Except for taking off too much fat.

Pics:
            2nd pic shows those crusty little hard pieces that I left out of the pulled meat.
            Next to last pic shows point, all others are the flat.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by zzdocxx; August 16, 2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here