Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soud vide beef short ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soud vide beef short ribs

I have them going72 hours at 129F. I often smoke them for a few hours when they get out... might just sear them on the gasser ... any suggestions?

Shock them in ice water then smoker until you get them back to 129°. Then sear and or sauce and grill. I did this with back ribs last week and they were awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
      Shock them in ice water then smoker until you get them back to 129°. Then sear and or sauce and grill. I did this with back ribs last week and they were awesome.
      Well I can see smoker or sear but 3 cooking methods for 2.5 pounds wont do.,.,, maybe when I am doing more. I just found these in the freezer—-they were a gift

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I see your point. It didn't seem so bad to me because the SV step was 24 hours of complete hands off. A couple of hours on the smoker and a few minutes on the gasser.

• fracmeister
        fracmeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes...I am doing 72 hours at 129F. REAL low and slow. Thinking I will just hit'em on the gasser --- i rarely fire up the smoker for little projects but I do have an Oklahoma joe UDS --- might do that

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        You misspelled PBC

Hit em on the gasser, hard and fast... build a nice sear on it. If you did them at 129, I think you can even shoot for over, like to 135 IT. Blitz hot, keep flipping, and get them a good sear.

PS- the OJB is not an ugly drum...

Comment

Originally posted by Potkettleblack View Post
        PS- the OJB is not an ugly drum...
        really? Here is the review from some website I found
        Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco Drum Smoker. Oklahoma Joe’s first-ever Upright Drum Smoker brings to the market a package full of features you won’t find on many smokers at this price. My Pit Barrel Cooker sells for a slightly higher MSRP and lacks many of the extras that set this drum smoker apart from the competition. Oklahoma Joe’s describes their drum smoker as versatile, and it is just that.
        Upright drum smokers

Popularity of upright barrel smokers, aka Ugly Drum Smokers

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Nowhere in that description does it say Ugly. It's an upright, it's drum like, but it's attractive.

OJB! OJB! OJB!

Originally posted by fracmeister View Post

really? Here is the review from some website I found
        Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco Drum Smoker. Oklahoma Joe’s first-ever Upright Drum Smoker brings to the market a package full of features you won’t find on many smokers at this price. My Pit Barrel Cooker sells for a slightly higher MSRP and lacks many of the extras that set this drum smoker apart from the competition. Oklahoma Joe’s describes their drum smoker as versatile, and it is just that.
        Upright drum smokers

Popularity of upright barrel smokers, aka Ugly Drum Smokers
        Read that last line... it leads the next paragraph.... aka

dude I’m not criticizing their looks but UDS stands for both and it says so in the review

Comment

Just boil them. It's faster.

Comment

Originally posted by TripleB View Post
            Just boil them. It's faster.
            I probably should have boiled these and made a stew. That was some tough old cow.

Comment

• zzdocxx
              zzdocxx commented
              Editing a comment
              Wait a sec, I missed the part where you told what happened ?

Yeah mine came out super tough too ! ! !

• fracmeister
              fracmeister commented
              Editing a comment
              These weren’t the big beefy kinds I buy atHEB where I often spring for USDA prime. These were from a friend who had killed one of his cows and had it in his freezer for who knows how long (years?) before he gave it to me. The steaks, chops, etc were none too impressive. Thought I could sous vide around toughness but even 72 hours didn’t accomplish that!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here