Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not as good as sous vide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not as good as sous vide...

For a few years I've been doing my rib eyes sous vide coated with SPG for an hour at 133-135, then coated in mayo and seared in a hot cast iron skillet. Always tasty and tender. I recently added a Blackstone griddle and decided to do Angus rib eyes on it only. Cooked them on medium heat till around 135, then seared them on high burner only using the avocado oil on griddle.

They appeared pretty good, but not the sear of the cast iron/mayo combo, and the bones prevented the entire steak from searing properly. However, they were not the least bit tender and lacked flavor.

It's been said that quality cuts of meat don't need sous vide, but lesser cuts did, that's why I thought these Angus rib eyes would be fine without it. But in this case it wasn't.

Sounds interesting. For me the SV just makes the ribeye too tender. Also, even if I do SV, I like to get some smoke flavor on them by giving some lower temp time on the smoker grill before searing.

Sorry I don't know what SPD is so maybe I have missed the point.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      SPG = Salt, Pepper, Garlic. If you're finding the protein is too tender you're possibly cooking it for too long.

• Driverdan
      Driverdan commented
      Editing a comment
      Not tender at all!

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      @pdare, yes, that is why I don't use SV on my ribeyes.
      Yes SPG is about what I normally use, that's what they use up in Santa Maria.
      Thanks!

@DD your ribeyes aren't tender ? I pick mine up at Costco, just the select grade FWIW. I've heard of that mayo method, I tried it out on grill cheese sandwiches, very nice !

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here