Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MH’s Steakhouse Burgers (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MH’s Steakhouse Burgers (?)

Trying Meathead’s steakhouse burger recipe to satisfy a long craving! Anybody else find the indirect cooking times WAAAYYY OFF? I’m only doing two half-pounders, staying true to the recipe this cook before modding anything.... but at 225 indirect on the Weber & SNS, they’ve been 30 minutes and only now about 100, flipped at 90 after 25 minutes (he recommends 10 minutes & flip, about 105), so I’m cooling a whole lot slower.... don’t mind, just wondering if anyone else ran into this?

I know it’s the temp, not the time that matters, just curious, as far off as it is, if anyone else ran into that?

Comment

40 minutes now, only 115? I’m waiting, but seems weird (plus the grill has been running closer to 275 for the last 20 minutes)...

Comment

I've never tried that recipe but I probably wouldn't go that low no matter what. If you try it again maybe go for 275 or at the lowest 250.

Comment

What are you using to tell its 225? The lid thermometer may not reflect grate temp. At 225, I would plan on 20-30 minutes for burgers that low.

Comment

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            lemayp , I’m using a Thermopro dual probe setup, it’s calibrated, cook low n slow all the time

Well, did you get to eat it yet? How was it?

Comment

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome

Love MH but don't get the fetishization of 225 as THE temp. Pump it up.

Comment

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            rickgregory , I did after maybe the first 20 minutes, decided it was way too low, let it run 270-290 for the next 30 minutes

Regardless of the big time discrepancy, damned good burgers! Best I’ve had in a long, long time! After the first 15-20 minutes, I let the grill heat up to 270-290, still took about 50 minutes to get the burgers to 120 it (planned on taking to 140 per MH’s advice), but pulled at 120 to sear, seared to about 145, and said enough... they were awesome. Maybe just one of those oddball cooks that happen now & then? Surprised it took an hour total, twice the recipe time, but results were awesome! Had a nice reddish color, like a smoke ring, before searing!
          Attached Files

Comment

Next time, definitely gonna start out at 275-300, 225 is just way too low (& slow) for these burgers.... they were great, but I think the first 15-20 minutes at 225 just drug out the cook...!they didn’t dry out a bit at higher temps for the next 30 minutes. Like everything, I try to follow the recipe exactly the first time, then adjust whatever didn’t work

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here