Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snake River Farms Tri-Tip...The Dry-brine of individual steaks....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake River Farms Tri-Tip...The Dry-brine of individual steaks....

I was gifted this beauty by a very generous person. Going to cut it up into smaller individual steaks so I can try some different seasonings and post-cook toppings, once it is defrosted. I can tell that it is a slight step up from the Double R Tri-Tips I got last year. NOT complaining about those, just this one appears to be better trimmed. Maybe a tad more "intramusculated."

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010015.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	89259 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	89260 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010016.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	89261
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; June 12, 2015, 02:39 PM.

WOW! Your livin right J-Rod! Thats an awesome gift.

Comment

I just KNOW that one came from here ontheranch! Enjoy

Comment

Goodness that's a fine looking cut. I've still not been able to locate tri-tip here in PA, might have to break down and buy one from SRF. Should be fine as long as Tina doesn't see the receipt.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        The Northwest Beef tri-tips at SRF are a tad less expensive. We got two last year and they were worth every penny.

• jholmgren
        jholmgren commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Jerod, I was just looking at that. For my first ever tri-tip I thought I'd go all-out - but maybe I will go with the NW instead since I have nothing to compare to at this point. Decisions...decisions.

Woohoo, time to try some out. I cut the tip and tried to get some 8-10 ounce steaks out the rest. I eyeballed 3 cuts after I took the tail off and dumb luck, I got 4- 10 ounce steaks that are 8 ounces after trimming. Never do that again.

Everything is dry brining. The tail will get cooked later this evening. The others will be frozen tomorrow after getting some type of rub applied, and cooked at later dates.

Name:	P1010017.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	89579 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	89580 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010020.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	89581

Comment

Yum. I think I'll try individual steaks next time. I cooked mine whole and it was great but not slap yo momma great.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I'm the only humanoid eating medium-rare, so I told the wife it was all on me to get rid of this chunk of protein.

The tail just got fried in olive oil to get a crust, it is now in foil getting to 130-ish, then going in an omelet with bacon and cheese.

Meat went higher than I wanted, still awesome. Got too much stuff going on. Plenty beefiness with this stuff.

Name:	P1010021.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	89626
        Last edited by Jerod Broussard; June 12, 2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

So where is Snake River Farms? I've fished the Snake River in Wyoming and the South Fork of the Snake in Idaho, call me curious.

They do pretty good with beef in that part of the country, my all-time-fave steakhouse is in Manhattan, MT, a few miles NW of Bozeman.

Best,
          Bill

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Boise, Idaho, but some stuff I have gotten was shipped from Washington state. I think the processing facility might be in Washington state. ontheranch can clarify

• ontheranch
            ontheranch commented
            Editing a comment
            Bill, Snake River Farms is a subsidiary of Agri-Beef a Boise, Idaho based company. Google Agri-Beef and take a tour around. Their Double R Ranch products are a hit in Albertsons' stores here. I can vouch for the quality since we sell product to them and have for several years. Their packing plant is in Toppenish, Wash....you can do a virtual tour of that also. It's amazing. They are truly a ranch to table company. They sell gift certificates to their products also.

I have never heard of a South Fork of the Snake in Idaho..perhaps it was the South Fork of the Salmon??

ontheranch,

The Snake River originates in YNP and flows SW through Jackson into the Palisades Reservoir on the Wyoming/Idaho border. Flowing out of the reservoir it's known as the South Fork of the Snake, I have no idea where the North Fork is or if there even is one? Here's a typical link: http://www.threeriversranch.com/fish...FVQ8gQodhB8ACg

I've spent a few very happy days floating the South Fork, I'm pretty sure it's there or some expensive outfitters owe me a refund! Great river, great fishing, beautiful scenery and some very interesting geology if that lights your fire. The Snake River Canyon in Idaho tracks the Yellowstone hotspot, there are some absolutely awesome geological formations to be seen floating through. Not to mention the fishing is great!

So where are you, the NorthWest is a pretty big area? Care to nail it down a notch or two?

Best,
          Bill

Comment

• ontheranch
            ontheranch commented
            Editing a comment
            Bill, I'm just out of Riggins, Idaho on the Salmon River. Here the two rivers (Snake & Salmon) flow north, parallel to each other and only 15+ miles apart. The area between is known by us as the "divide" but called the "island" by the USFS.

Here, if anyone says they are going to float the South Fork, they mean the Salmon. But now I know there is also a South Fork of the Snake, though not in this area.

Thanks for sharing. Midge

Jerod Broussard that Tri-Tip was shipped from Kansas Ciity

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            The return label shows Boise, so maybe they got freezers in various parts of the country to aid in quick delivery.

Got three seasoned and vacuumed packed and in the freezer. One has a light coating of Tony's. Second has the Tri-tip rub from the main site. Third has equal parts black pepper, ancho chili pepper, and Cayenne pepper.

The fourth will get cooked tomorrow (kettle SnS combo) with the following recipe:
          Last edited by Jerod Broussard; June 13, 2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

2 day dry brine. 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, enough cut up cilantro to be proud of, but not enough to fill up a rabbit. 8 ounce tr-tip steak.

Name:	P1010030.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	90174

Comment

Definitely packs a punch.

Name:	P1010031.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	90180 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010032.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	90181

Comment

Snake River Farms and double R beef is a big deal here (Boise )... I pretry much only buy their beef... Specifically Double R

It is great living in Cattle Country... and you thought Idaho was all about potatoes. ... pfft
                Last edited by smarkley; June 14, 2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  It was all about potatoes on Moving with Richard Pryor.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here