Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delmonico Rib Eye on a Charcoal Grill vs. Novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delmonico Rib Eye on a Charcoal Grill vs. Novice

My wife brought home steaks that are described as 'Delmonico Rib Eye' on the label. From elsewhere in the Channel, I learned that Delmonico is not a cut, but a way of preparing steak made famous by a NYC restaurant of the same name. I also learned that, while Delmonico was originally rib eye, today it can be other cuts as well.

My mission: To cook these (boneless) steaks on my Weber charcoal grill, and to make my family happy.

My questions:

(1) I attached a picture of the meat - are you able to figure out what kind of meat it is?
    (2) I am still a novice griller - Please suggest how I can cook this on my Weber in a simple, straightforward way that will be yummy. No fancy recipes please - I'll get there eventually, but not yet.

Thanks!
    Attached Files

No pic.

Comment

I think it's there now.

(That's some fish!)

Comment

Those do look like ribeyes, can tell by the outside edge of the steak on the left, better known as the spinalis dorsi.

As for how to cook them, I'd recommend going to this article on the free side of the site for some advice and strategies;

https://amazingribs.com/technique-an...eak-like-a-pro

Comment

I think your biggest hurdle here will be dealing with "grass fed" beef and making it taste good....

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Matter of taste, though I guess most people prefer grain-finished. I happen to like all grass-fed - at least from the people I've bought from. Quality can vary with either approach.

Takes all kinds, eh? ;-)

• tdimond
            tdimond commented
            Editing a comment
            I had some grass fed filet about a year ago and it really helped it not be so bland. I liked the flavor, but to each their own.

Thanks for the link to the article on the free side. That will be a big help for me.

It's often said that we must learn to crawl before we can walk. With a barbecue, at least the crawling tastes good!

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, it's a rare day when even a failure is inedible!

"How to Cook A Steak Like A Pro" was great and very helpful, but it leaves one novice question unanswered:

"As for the best cooking method, the "sear and move" technique used to be a standard technique, and it works fairly well ..."

That's good, but how long to sear and how long to cook after moving to a cooler part of the grate (and at what temperature)? The only thermometer I have (for now) is the Weber's lid thermometer. Thanks for your advice.

EDIT: "Reverse Sear, Grilling Temps, When To Cook Hot & Fast ..." on the free side was also very helpful.
          Last edited by Bulldog; August 8, 2020, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            You will learn shortly that life is way mo betta with an instant read thermometer.
            These little guys are handy as hell. they take all the guess work out.
            Specializing in cool, unique and professional temperature tools. Super-Fast thermocouples, thermistors, infrared thermometers, data logging and more.

Also--look up reverse sear as it is the only way to go (in my opinion)
            Last edited by Cheef; August 8, 2020, 06:45 PM.

Hi Cheef: Funny you should mention it ... I actually ordered a ThermoPop yesterday. Looking forward to it. And you're right: an IR thermometer is the only way to get an accurate read on temperatures where it counts. For now, though, I have some rough-and-ready measurements to use. My steaks will probably come out medium or medium well, but my audience will be alive for the next time, when I do it the real way.

P.S. The steaks came out delicious! Thanks for everyone's advice.
          Last edited by Bulldog; August 10, 2020, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here