Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry cast iron to sear steak or oiled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading this thread today, I decided to try the dry method on some Delmonico steaks I picked up. I slowly warmed the CI skillet on the gasser for a bit then cranked the heat up to high aground to get it hot. The the seasoned steaks dry, flopping every minute for about 4 minutes. Then turned one side down to low and let them finish, with a few flips to keep heat even.

they turned out great! I did finish with a little ghee and thyme/rosemary basting.

enjou your next few cooks!

Comment

Well I'm calling it a success. They were a little thinner than I would have preferred but nonetheless the SV worked as advertised, and the cast iron sear was fantastic. In the future I think I'll shoot for maybe123 vs. the 128 I went with today if they're that thin, as the sear did take it right into medium vs. the intended med rare but all the same, it was still a great steak, still very tender and juicy. Hopefully next time they'll be a more realistic thickness avoiding the issue entirely but you work with what you have. In the past I've usually foregone CI for searing, normally going with just screaming hot charcoal (which of course is amazing) but I was only cooking 2 steaks this time so went with the iron today and I must say I was impressed.
      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here