Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Disaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Disaster

Smoked Brisket yesterday. It was not my first but for sure it was my worst. It came out dry and the flat I had to tug on it to pull apart. The point cut into burnt ends was more tender but still on the dry side. I had the temp probe in the point and took it off at 207 and placed on cooler for a 2 hr rest. I did not probe for tenderness (a mistake I think). It was wrapped in butcher paper at 165 and then placed back on, increasing the temp from 250 to 300 until I pulled. While it had a beautiful smoke ring, it was a TOTAL DISASTER. Maybe I'll chop it up and throw it in some chili.

What the heck did I do wrong???
    Last edited by PapaMac; August 2, 2020, 08:49 AM.

Some pieces are just tough. I prefer to go with the probing for tenderness starting around 190* instead of looking for a certain temp. Chili sounds like a good idea.

Comment

It sounds like it's overcooked. I usually start checking for probe tenderness at about 195 and take it off when it's tender. That's usually 195 to 205 or so.

Comment

I've found that a lot of my problems were the briskets I was picking at the store. I have only cooked full packer certified angus choice briskets. That label doesn't guarantee you anything. You need to look for a brisket with a decent fat cap and good marbling not only in the point, but the flat also. The other quality is harder to describe, it needs to feel loose or a little floppy. Hold it at one end and wiggle it a bit. You'll find the better ones just aren't as tight as others. You have to start with as many things in your favor as you can to get a good brisket in the end. Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here