Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plate Rib Stall??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plate Rib Stall??

Hello All

I’ve had some plate ribs on the pit for coming up on 7 hours (5.5 lbs). I’ve done these 5 or 6 times with no issues but they’ve been stuck at 188 for about two hours (I’m cooking at ~275). I usually take these to 205 then let them rest for an hour. This size rack at this temp has taken about 6 hours in the past but I can’t get these past this 188 "stall". I have to be missing something??
    Attached Files

Probe 'em. If they're like butter, pull 'em. I've had a couple pieces that just got tough the more I tried to carry 'em up to the recommended temp.

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a great point. The probe has been going in smooth. Maybe I’m too reliant on temps??

I don't have any answers but I would like to put them ribs in and around my face

Comment

They do look good.

Comment

With that much pullback on the bones they do look done.

Comment

So here are a few pics of the outcome. They were good...I’d give them a B minus but not great. The thicker parts were a little drier than previous cooks of cuts the same size so I’m still a little confused as to what happened here. Oh well...you could do a lot worse than-not-so-great plate ribs 😂
          Attached Files

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            Pictures of Dino ribs bring tears to my eyes. Those are just glorious.

Your striving for perfection in an imperfect hobby....

Comment

• MTurney
            MTurney commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha not looking for perfection....these were just noticeably drier than the same ones I’ve done in the past on the same cooker, same splits, bought at the same store etc.

Sometimes I think it’s just the meat no matter what you do. Have had briskets come out like butter and others while still good a little disappointing but I didn’t do anything different. Those ribs you made looked mighty good. I have to order some plate ribs no one really carries them here in NJ.
          Last edited by gmascolo51; August 1, 2020, 05:10 AM.

Comment

• MTurney
            MTurney commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea I’m with you....guess that’s just part of it. And they seem to be getting more popular so hopefully you’ll be able to start finding them in NJ soon

Those look delicious, MTurney . I'm curious. It looks to me as if you maybe glazed/sauced them. If so, can you share what you used for the glaze?

Comment

• MTurney
            MTurney commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Dewesq55! We enjoyed them. Yes, last time I did these I put a thin layer of Sweet Baby Ray’s (original) on one of the ribs just to experiment and we ended up loving it. It gives it a completely new flavor without taking away from the meat. Now I always put a little on at least one or two of the ribs...this time I just did the whole thing haha. Highly recommend trying it on just one of the ribs next time and see what you think!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here