Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Costco Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costco Beef Short Ribs

I'm pretty new to all this and this forum has been super helpful. So thank you to everyone who contributes here.

But like I said. I'm new to all this (I've only smoked pork butts, pork ribs and chicken wings) and really want to try smoking beef ribs. Every time I see a pic of smoked beef ribs I cant stop thinking about them for days! I think it's a problem. I mean, look at these things: https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-beef-chuck-ribs/

But turns out buying beef ribs is more complicated than buying pork ribs. Plus they're either hard to fine or super expensive.

So I felt like I hit the jack pot when I saw the Costco near me has "USDA Choice Bone-In Beef Short Ribs" in a cyropack for $4.60/lb. But I'm still pretty confused about the whole situation because there are different types of beef ribs (3 ribs, 4 ribs, "chuck short ribs," "beef plate short ribs," etc.) and the ones on the Costco website are listed at averaging 16lbs which seems super heavy to me since most people are smoking ribs a third that size.

Has anyone here bought one of these at Costco? What kind of beef ribs are they? Do they cook the all cook the same (8-10 hours at 250)?

I did a six pound rack a few weeks ago and they were good to go in 7 hours at ~275..see pic below. I actually just picked up another rack last week at Costco so I’ll put a pic of that as well. Hope this helps!
    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry other pic didn’t upload for some reason
      Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Justin. Sorry, but beef ribs are not available at my local Costco.

Comment

• Loren
          Loren commented
          Editing a comment
          Same...but now I really want my warehouse to carry beef ribs!

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, Virginia Costcos pretty much suck.

Originally posted by MTurney View Post
        I did a six pound rack a few weeks ago and they were good to go in 7 hours at ~275..see pic below. I actually just picked up another rack last week at Costco so I’ll put a pic of that as well. Hope this helps!
        Dang! See, that's what I'm talking about! I'm drooling over here.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
          Welcome to The Pit Justin. Sorry, but beef ribs are not available at my local Costco.
          All good, thanks for the welcome!

Comment

They are usually selling you about 3 plates of 4 ribs each. Check out the show us what you're cooking thread, I just posted Costco ribs on Sunday. Usually pretty meaty, figure 5+ pounds per plate. You're either going to want to serve a crowd or repackage them. If it takes you 8 hours at 250 you're doing it wrong. 5 to 6 should be plenty.

Comment

I get the ones from Costco when they have their road show. They stopped doing that since the whole pandemic thing. They would be prime and individual bones (they cook faster that way). I cook them at 225-250 for 4-5hrs until the IT is 200ish or probe like buttah. Then put them in a cambro for 2-3hrs as they tend to finish at different times.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RAW RIBS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.3 KB ID:	888405

Click image for larger version  Name:	COOKED RIBS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	519.7 KB ID:	888406

Comment

Originally posted by JCGrill View Post
                They are usually selling you about 3 plates of 4 ribs each. Check out the show us what you're cooking thread, I just posted Costco ribs on Sunday. Usually pretty meaty, figure 5+ pounds per plate. You're either going to want to serve a crowd or repackage them. If it takes you 8 hours at 250 you're doing it wrong. 5 to 6 should be plenty.
                Just found that thread and wow, those look amazing. It'll prob just be my Dad and I, so if it's a three pack we'll prob repackage at least one of them. Though I'm tempted to cook two plates so we can try a couple different rubs. We'd have leftovers for days, but by looking at these pics I'm thinking that won't be a problem.

Comment

• JCGrill
                  JCGrill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My go to rubs are both on the free side of the site. BBBR and CCC. For the ones I just posted I went off the ranch and used a store bought rub.

• JustinCA
                  JustinCA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was thinking a dalmatian rub for one. Then maybe something with a little more kick to it for the other.

Rod at first I was concerned that it would be a big ol' pack of individual bones rather than a plate. But seeing your pic I don't think that would be an issue.

Comment

Before the craziness, 4 bone Prime grade racks of chuck short ribs were available any day of the week at my local Costco. They were sold in two rack packages at about $5.49 per pound. Always great quality. A little trimming, and I mean just a little, rubbed up and on the smoker. Since the craziness, none to be found. Ugh. One of the best, easiest, and delish things in my opinion. I hope they come back soon. If you can get them, do. Yummy stuff.

Comment

For any Bay Area folks, the Costco business center in Hayward has a bunch of the four packs. Works out to about $20-25 for a four rib plate. Looking forward to smoking them on Sunday.

Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here