Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else buy a side of beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else buy a side of beef?

We bought a side of beef, well actually a quarter and it came in today. Unfortunately I’m out of town for work so I haven’t got to inspect the quality, but with processing and the cow it was around $5 per lb. I made a joke while drinking to my wife’s cousin about we want the tongue and cheek so apparently we have that. Anyone cooked either? I am definitely using the cheek for tacos of some kind, but not sure about the tongue.

Freeze the tongue, peel off the skin with a vegetable peeler. Cure and smoke for pastrami.

Comment

The tongue makes awesome sandwiches. I use my insta pot to cook it for approx 45 mins with broth. Then peel it and usually can shred the thin part and smoke the thicker back section till very tender and slice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5574E41C-02E3-437E-A61C-AE1F149FB05A.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	885850

Comment

Tongue has a nice, really beefy flavor. Along with the great ideas you've got so far, if you want to go traditional, Julia Child has a braise in Mastering the Art of French Cooking that's unbelievable. But figure on some time in the kitchen.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Julia Child - back to the source! Great book.

I have a half coming that will be ready in a few weeks. Also have a whole hog on the way as well. Not cooked the cheek but something that I want to try. I would go to Howtobbqright.com and search beef cheek.

Comment

Beef cheeks are pure gold. You're gonna love 'em! About the only cut on a cow tougher than a brisket, but with a slow smoke/cook they turn into pure bliss. Most recipes call for braising in red wine with butter and herbs. I've done that many times, never fails. But I've started to smoke them first. Next up: grill them all the way. Will report back.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Gots me to wonderin: anybody ever grind em some up, or grind into a beef mixture, fer pattys, etc.?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here