Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 Ribeyes for tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 Ribeyes for tomorrow

I am cooking 80 ribeye steaks, using kosher salt in the morning. Warming up the steaks in a convection oven, then searing them over a charcoal grill. My question is how long to go from refrigerator temp to 135 degrees in the oven. Ribeyes will be cooked to a medium on the grill.

Ps. I'm figuring on an hour in the oven, could someone please click

I have never cooked that many steaks nor have I done the oven precook but here is what I'd do: Medium rare is about 131, I would heat to that, remove and cool on the counter for about 15 minutes, then sear them on the grill. Should get a medium to slightly medium rare. BTW - hopping in the car now, should be at your place by 8 am Should I bring the tater salad? And welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by 58limited; July 24, 2020, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited Mind if I tag along?

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      I make a mean pico de gallo send me the address, please !!

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      smokin fool " I'll do half a dozen at a time maybe"
      Beers or steaks?

IMO if your planning to take these to 135 then sear on a hot grill you’ll end up with a lot of over cooked steaks?
    As far as how long it will take in the oven to get up to 135 depends on how big the oven is, how many steaks will be in said oven and how thick they are?

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

I was rethinking to take steaks to 131 degrees, the oven is a commercial convection oven. Letting the steaks rest 15 minutes and then searing. Steaks will be put in a food warmer until served

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I was speaking off the cuff, and no experience with this volume of beefy goodness. Others will probably offer better advice. But, as I have thought about this, I'm wondering if you should pull them at 120-125, then sear. The sear can jump the internal heat quite a bit depending on how hot the fire is. Maybe a trial run with one or two steaks in in order beforehand.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited My thoughts exactly. A couple of Pre trial "Pitmaster privilege"

I'm no help, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

thickness of steak is 1 inch

Comment

Did you say 80?
        Soooo what are you having for dinner???
        Just curious 🤔😁😁

Comment

I misread that as 80 steaks.
          Sweet Elvis' Ghost!!

I don't think they'll take an hour in the oven. When I reverse sear, an 1 1/2" ribeye takes about 40 mins at 235ish to get to 115. Then I sear it off.

Whatever your plan is, I'd run a good thermo--meter into a steak or two in the oven so you know what they're doing.

Been a long time since I've lived in Mississippi. But 80 ribeyes seem like a good reason to come back.
          What's your address?

​​​​​​.
          Looking forward to seeing this cook!!

Comment

• Brian G
            Brian G commented
            Editing a comment
            80 is correct

Two other questions -

What kind of equipment is at your disposal?

Do you have a good recipe for comeback sauce?

Comment

Topping off steaks with optional Steak butter, kitchen is a commercial kitchen as you would find in a restaurant
            Last edited by Brian G; July 24, 2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

If they're going to be in a warming oven.... St say 140, I'd pull them even earlier.

Take to 110 - sear. Between carryover and warming oven, you'll hit medium I bet.

Of course, this is all conjecture. I think 12 steaks is the most I've cooked at once.

Comment

I would probe a steak at each level of the oven rack and cook at 250° lowest fan setting. If only a high fan setting use 225 and plan on that hour.

time depends on temp, airflow and moisture. More temp and high airflow the faster the cook and higher carryover temp.

also if using a Combi turn off the moisture setting. You want slow dry heat.

taken them to about 110°-120° Depending on the temp you cook with. Hotter temp lower initial cook because the carryover will kill you.

you also said you will hold them, that will continue to cook them and maybe dry them out.

all of these things are variables and it’s hard to answer those questions.

how many can you reliably sear off well at any given time. Are there sides you need the oven for?

I’ve cooked 180 steaks at once (followed by more) and they were all front seared.

You are living on the edge my friend.

I wish you a great service!
                Last edited by HouseHomey; July 25, 2020, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• jerrybell
                  jerrybell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There are many great cooks that I learn from on this forum, but I love it when the pros chime in.

• Brian G
                  Brian G commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I salted the steaks this morning, placed them a lined baking tray. Steak thickness is 1/2 - 3/4" , I'm guessing 1 hour on low fan setting at 225 degrees. I can adjust oven down to 150 degrees

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I miss my combi. :-( LOL

1/2-3/4” steaks will likely be fully cooked after searing. I would sear and hold in a 150 degree oven until carryover brings them up to temp if they aren’t already there after searing.

Comment

Cooking 80 steaks in an oven is going to make a lot of humidity. I would up the fan setting. When cooking large amounts of meat at one go you really notice that.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Have you considered sous vide and then sear as req’d

Comment

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s exactly what I was gonna say, perfect solution. Would require a bunch of equipment for that many. Oh well guess the cook is over by now.

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That was one of my thoughts...SV is excellent for this type of thing. They wouldn't dry out or become over cooked.

If not going that route I would front sear like HouseHomey does/did. Especially with thinner steaks...it certainly won't take long to hit 135°. I've done events that way using a 72" grill...about the time we got it loaded, it was time to go back and start flipping. Thin steaks can cook FAST.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here