Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to do the instant read w/ ribeyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to do the instant read w/ ribeyes

Just finished grilling up some thick ribeyes on the Weber Kettle . Went with the recipie that called for putting the steaks on direct heat w/ the grill at 500 or so, then after 4 minutes, flip them and do it another 4 minutes. The guy on YouTube said they should be good for medium rare at that point . I'm more a medium guy, so I took them to indirect hear for a couple of minutes and then with my Maverick instant read, I checked and they were around 145 which is supposed to be medium. They were too rare, so I'm wondering what any of you think is a good temp for medium . Also, when is the right time to use the thermometer ....right before you think it's time to pull them off, or right AFTER you pull them off ? It makes a difference --

My wife and I like 140° for medium. I cook thick steaks and use a leave in probe to monitor internal temp, and I pull them at 138°. By the time we are ready to eat, they are around 140°. That's just a few minutes.

Check your thermo in boiling water - it may be off.

Comment

I’d definitely check your thermometer like mentioned. I check mine in both an ice bath and boiling water. Thermoworks makes the best instant read thermometers. Even the $35 Thermopop is pretty great. I’ve never found a thermoworks off yet.

Comment

When you probe your steak.....

do it lengthwise into the center from the outside. Don’t poke (Perpendicular)straight down into it because that’s the surface part closest to heat.

Horizontally from the outside push to the center of the meat, it’s easier to tell where the center is this way. Once your pushed in pull back on it about 1/4 inch and leave it sir for some seconds.

also if they were ribeyes, the spinalis (outer, super tender part everyone loves) cooks faster so you have to push into the center mass and straight or you risk pushing out to the surface and getting a higher reading.

if you were cooking hot the carryover from 135 hot should take you to above 140°.

hope this helps

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here