Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about brisket

Good Day, folks.

I have these two pieces of brisket given to me by some farmer friends. Great cow, lots of nice cuts off of it, but they don't like brisket - they fed some to their dogs! Just imagine!

Now I have a piece of point and a piece of flat. Both weigh about 5 lb, but obviously they are a different thickness. Do I put the flat on a bit later? Will the flat over cook and dry out?

Any advise would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

I'd do both at the same time. Pull and wrap the first one done while the other finishes. A nice long hold never hurt a brisket

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

• jharner
      jharner commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree

Cook the point and make pastrami out of the flat...yum!!!

Comment

• UncleSpike
      UncleSpike commented
      Editing a comment
      Lat time I cooked a whole brisket, the flat was dry and not really great, so we cubed it and put it in stew. That was good!

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      To me it really depends on how well it’s marbled. If it’s got a good amount of internal marbling I’ll smoke it but if not I’ll make either corned beef or pastrami out of it.

It's funny I have flats or points go quicker than the other on every other cook. I can't pinpoint it down. It logically seems the thinner flat would cook quicker, but it's never that way all the time. So I too say plop 'em both on at the same time. After they hit 200ish, give 'em the 'faux cambro' hold, whichever gets there first will just have to be held a bit longer. Too long of a hold might affect its sliceability, might get somewhat crumbly, but hey that's part of it!

Comment

I would advise to inject, especially for the flat. And start checking for doneness around 195 F. Sometimes it finishes probe tender before 203 F.

Comment

Well, I'm a bit red faced now...

I loaded them on the smoker at 3:00 A.M. with the intention of taking them off at 3:00 P.M.
        Things were going just fine, but the point just flew through the stall and was pretty much done at noon. I lowered the temp to just under 200 and wrapped the flat at that point.

Took them both off at 2:00.

5:00 is dinner time. First I slice the point. It doesn't smell right and is tearing and impossible to slice. On closer inspection...

IT WAS A PORK SHOULDER!!!!!

Needless to say, it didn't taste quite right with a beef rub, but was moist and good enough to eat...
        The brisket was fine, not great.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oops. At least the eating was good!

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          In the words of the late, great Lewis Grizzard:  "Damn, brother.  I don't believe I'd have told that." 😂 But at least you got to enjoy eating the evidence.

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          I do like me some Lewis Grizzard.

now that is a twist worthy of shamalamadingdong

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here