Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef cheeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef cheeks

Hi everybody only my second recipe post as life has been quite hectic recently!

Before my wife went away to Greece, she had left some beef cheeks in the fridge. They were pre-trimmed and weighed in at about a lb each. Having yet to do a brisket, I thought I'd give these a go as my first foray into low and slow beef. The rub I went with was very brisket influenced, consisting of pepper, salt, granulated garlic and mustard powder.

Set the kamado for 275, chucked on a couple of chunks of Oak whiskey barrel and smoked until 203 internal. I then checked with a probe so that it slid in as easily as butter, which took about 3 and a half hours.

Wrapped in butcher paper and rested in a cool box for 30 minutes before serving. The beef was so soft and moist, thefthe melted in the mouth yet the bark was incredibly crunchy. My mum unexpectedly visited and even she ate some, a shocker to me as she'll usually find the fat in a fillet! Due to the company my photos weren't as good as I hoped for.

Will definitely be doing these again, considering they don't really take that long to cook and are delicious.

Have just found a farm close to me that sells beef, pork and lamb so I can see a brisket happening as soon as my wife gets back from Greece, maybe even before if I invite a few people over...
    Attached Files

Very nice!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that the Meater temp probe? First time (for me) to see in a pic. How do you like?

• Deano_Smokes
      Deano_Smokes commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it's the Meater+. It's got a lot going for it (fancy app, completely wireless, looks good, Meater cloud so I can keep an eye on temps when I pop to the shops by using an old phone as a bridge) but I find the connectivity to be very hit and miss. My inkbird is more reliable on that front.

Congrats on a successful cook. Chuck roasts are also great smoked the same way.

Comment

One of my favorite cuts to smoke. Lots of salt n pepper and don't be afraid to take em up to 208f internal. Beef jelly!!!

Comment

• Deano_Smokes
        Deano_Smokes commented
        Editing a comment
        Think it might have been 205 when I took it off, can't quite remember and I lost the details of the cook. Either way that beef jelly was a delicious treat!

We can only imagine due to not having tastavision or smellavision. But you sure took care of us in the visual department!

Comment

Very nice!!!

Comment

Beef cheeks are da bomb. No wrapping before done? Nice work!

Comment

• Deano_Smokes
            Deano_Smokes commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, no wrapping. Have only been smoking since march and haven't wrapped anything yet as I've always had time on my side.

Beef cheeks are such a little treat. Sometimes hard to find around here but smoke 'em if you got 'em !!!

Comment

The only way we get beef cheeks is when we find Mexican carnecerias out in the boonies. Wonderful treat. I make a paste of ancho and guajillo chili's, onion, garlic, cumin and oregano and cook the meat in the instant pot for an hour. The meat is shredded and wrapped up in a corn tortilla with fresh serrano salsa.

I'm going to have to try sous vide and smoker sometime.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here