Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap chuck eyes? Today’s experiment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap chuck eyes? Today’s experiment!

So if you’ve seen my other cooks, the chuck roasts I’ve been getting are part chuck eye. Some are predominately chuck eye, & the Kroger meat Mgr verified they don’t cut the eye separate. So I’ve been on a mission to identify & isolate the eye, so I can have an incredible steak for a couple of bucks. I THINK I’ve narrowed it down, and I trimmed these 2” thick babies out of the last two (used the "tough section" for mock country ribs)... if I’m right, these will be toothpick tender at 120, come off & get a good sear... if not, they’ll cook all afternoon until tender.
    BTW, $5 total in these, about 1.2 lbs each
    Attached Files
    Last edited by patcrail; July 22, 2020, 02:00 PM.

Oh yeah, dry-brined 2 hrs, rubbed with pepper & garlic

Comment

They started out looking like this:
      Attached Files

Comment

After removing the tougher section (I hope 🤞):
        Attached Files

Comment

I try to avoid "cheap chicks".....................................althou gh at my age now it doesn't matter near as much.

Comment

• patcrail
            patcrail commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, missed that entirely... although most of the women I had relationships with were cheap chicks... maybe cause I never was rich😎

SUCCESS! These babies were definitely eyes! They were only choice from Kroger, but there was ZERO detectible difference between these and their $16/lb choice ribeyes—- & they never have 2” thick ribeyes! So you can bet I’ll be snatching these babies up next time they’re $2.99... you lose about a third trimming the tougher side, but makes great country style ribs, and you’re left with a damned cheap poor man’s ribeye.... it’s definitely not a prime steak, but neither are the ones they’re selling for 5x this price, and honestly, being thicker, I prefer these!
          Attached Files

Comment

Only maybe 1 in 10 I see there have the eye, so I’m not saying Kroger’s giving away meat—it apparently just isn’t worth the labor to trim, pack, & label separate, since there’s only one per side of beef! My time is certainly cheap enough to pick through the bin, find and trim them... took some experimenting to find the right cuts & parts, but even the worst fails just weren’t probe tender at 125-130, and ended up as slicing or pulling chuckies hours later

Comment

Sous vide for 24-48 hours first at 131f and then sear.

Comment

• patcrail
                patcrail commented
                Editing a comment
                mgaretz I just reread this... are you saying SVing chuck shoulder at 131, then a quick sear, will make it as tender at medium rare as a prime rib?

• mgaretz
                mgaretz commented
                Editing a comment
                Exactly. Poor man's prime rib! The catch is (other than the long SV soak) is that the muscles in the chuck all run different directions, so you have to separate them before slicing.
                Last edited by mgaretz; July 24, 2020, 12:58 PM.

• patcrail
                patcrail commented
                Editing a comment
                mgaretz I see... if I get where I can’t get cheap chuck eyes anymore and want to spend a couple of days cooking steaks, I’ll have to give that a try!

Great write up and thanks!! Give a lazy man a hard job and he will find an easy way to do it... Tastes better when it a cheap cut that eats like an expensive steak...

Comment

Bro, if this catches on the price of chuck is going to skyrocket. But keep it going!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here