Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7 hour Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 hour Brisket Question

Why can’t I find videos or information about cooking a brisket in 7 hours.

All I can seem to find are articles and videos for "Hot and Fast" brisket for a 3 or 4 hour cook OR articles and videos for "Low and Slow" brisket for a 10 to 14 hour cook.

Is a brisket not built to be cooked in 7 hours?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

Check out the brisket video on the Pit Barrel Cooker website. He does his brisket in about 6 or 7 hours.
    I haven't done a brisket that way, but I think wrapping in foil with extra liquid speeds up the cooking by braising.

Comment

I did 5.5 hours running 350 with a turkey and a chuck roast in the Pit Barrel, no wrap. Nailing 7 hours on a random brisket would be almost like knowing when a brisket will be done down to the minute. I've run 225 and 260+ on the pellet and I swear these briskets will either take 15+ or 8 hours cooking at those two temps, NO in between.

Needless to say if you cook a lot of brisket you spend more time holding a lot of brisket.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        7 was just a round about number. Anywhere between 6 hours to 8 hours would be a perfect time frame for me.

That way I wouldn’t need to get up at the butt crack of dawn or have to hope my temps hold on my Kettle all night long.
        Last edited by ssandy_561; July 22, 2020, 08:01 AM.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        ssandy_561 300 would probably be your best option. Getting up too early to put it to hold allows one to get back to sleep better than it lagging on and you not sleeping well knowing it is taking longer than it expected.

If timing is the goal, I see nothing wrong with just doing the hot and fast method and then holding as long as you need to.

Comment

I don't know what it is about my big old Traeger but my briskets are almost always done in 7-8 hours. I start them at 250 until IT of 160 or so then bump it to 275 for the remainder. I run them nekkid the whole way. However, doing one in the same manner with my WSCG puts me into the 10-14 hour range.

Comment

Captain Mike; My old L'il Tex traeger got briskets done really fast as well. Finally Einstein here figured out to put a remote digital oven thermometer at the same height as the meat. Surprise, surprise, the Traeger was way hotter than the temp set.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, my grate temp is about 10 degrees hotter than the Traeger temp at dead center, but I do a brisket in my WSCG at 250 it takes about 12 hours . It must have something to do with the fan and air movement.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            But I guess I already said that, whoops...

Jerod Broussard I agree with you....somewhere around the 300-325F mark should be fine. Can always adjust temp up or down to control timing or you can even crutch if needed. Just allow plenty of cambro time.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I started low and slow on some pork butts last night at 11pm for 6pm today. I've been moving so I'm spunt by midnight, I increased the heat some the last few hours to get them done early enough to hold for a couple hours.

Great that this subject came up
          I plan on doing a 16-18# packer for Sat
          I plan on smoking on my BKK for three hours on fri night, from 10pm to 1 am hopefully at 250-280
          then double wrapping in foil and cooking in the oven at 225 over night til roughly 10 am then hold in cambro til 3ish then cut and serve
          Hope the OP doesn’t mind me asking on his thread
          Your thoughts please

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a 17 lb Prime Costco whole packer, trimmed and in the fridge for tomorrow (Wednesday). Planning on cooking 325 to 350 F on my offset, no-wrap/crutch, and I "think" it will finish in the six to eight-hour window...Good luck on your cook!

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds like a long time wrapped in foil. Have you cooked a brisket that way before? I’d worry that it’ll be done much sooner.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Red Man No I've never done a brisket this way usually Its done oven only as my family prefers it done that way and we've only had the smoker for a few years now.
            I'd like to try to get some some into the meat. Briskets are so expensive up here my wife would kill me if I ruined it. I agree a 5 hour hold is getting up there, gotta work on my timing

smokin fool I wouldn’t worry too much about a five hour hold. I’m more worried that 9 hours wrapped in foil and cooking in the oven will way overcook the brisket. How do you normally cook it in the oven?

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Red Man Learned this from my sister in Dallas
            -season your brisket, dry rub or what ever, she used dry onion soup mix
            -double wrap the brisket in tin foil on grates to keep elevated off the cooking tray
            -22:30 preheat oven to 400
            -23:00 brisket into the oven
            -00:01 reduce heat to 250 and let it cook overnight
            -07:00 reduce to 200
            -13:00 take out of oven and cambro for 2-4 hours
            I welcome your thoughts

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            smokin fool Well, if it can handle all that time wrapped in foil I suppose your original plan should work fine.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Red Man this is really cooking brisket for dummies but it does work.
            Depending on the piece of meat you get and circumstances it does work out well.
            Then there are times parts are overdone and crumbly but like I said the family loves it.
            One fantastic benefit of this method is the au jus, it is Chanel No.5 for men, and women too.
            It is quite simply to die for.

When I split the point from the flat, and cook them separated, the cook time ranges in that 7-10 hour range, depending on 250* or 275*. You might want to try that. The point will get done sooner, just hold it in cambro. The flat follows in about an hour.

(I found this out by starting a cook at midnight, and being surprised by breakfast-ready brisket.)

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Until I get the proper knives I'll leave it whole, don't want to ruin it hacking it apart.
            Right now I'm toying with giving the brisket a four hour smoke Fri night, pulling it and refrigerating overnight then into the oven at 07:00 cook till 15:00ish and cambro for 2 hours.
            How does this sound?

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            It sounds like it would work, but really I have no idea.

I think any sharp knife will work, btw. Just cut through that huge seam of fat.
            Last edited by Mosca; July 30, 2020, 08:29 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here