Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porterhouse w/Schug (skhug, zhug) board sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porterhouse w/Schug (skhug, zhug) board sauce

A while back I won a Pat LaFrieda giveaway on Twitter that included a bunch of burger patties and a porterhouse. The burgers are long gone, but the Porterhouse finally made it's way out of the freezer and into my mouth (with a few stops in between). When trying to decide how to cook it, I thought I'd finally try a board sauce since I had never made one before and it seems so easy and delicious. I also happen to recently come across a recipe for schug (a hot sauce originating in Yemeni cuisine made with chilis, herbs, and spices) in a cookbook (Zahav) and decided I was going to make some. Well, why not just use the schug for the board sauce?

First, the schug.

Serrano peppers, parsley, cilantro, salt, garlic, coriander, lemon juice, salt, and canola oil.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_143125.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	884125

I removed the seeds and ribs from the chilis, not wanting this first attempt to turn out too spicy since my wife doesn't like as much heat as I do. Then measured out the rest of the ingredients.

Name:	20200718_152143.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	884122

Put it all in a food processor to make a coarse paste, split into a few mason jars, and poured the oil over.

Name:	20200718_154107.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	884124

Then, the steak. It was a 2-inch thick, 2 lbs 4 oz porterhouse.

Name:	20200719_125159.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	884127

Was going to reverse sear on the Performer but it was so hot out that I decided to limit time outside, bypass the charcoal, and toss in on the pellet cooker (which was up and running with something else) before searing in a cast iron pan inside. Added some schug to the cutting board, put the steak on top, sliced and enjoyed.

Name:	20200719_145010.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	884126

Name:	20200719_145234.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	884123

Looks amazing! How was the sauce?

Comment

• jumbo7676
      jumbo7676 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was great. So far I've tried the schug on grilled arctic char and eggs and both were really good. On the steak with the juices from the meat was even better.

Winner, winner, steak dinner!!!

Comment

I’d eat that!!

Comment

That's a lot of serrano. I would probably regret eating it on the next day. Looks great though.

Comment

• jumbo7676
          jumbo7676 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's actually pretty mild because I spent the time to remove the all of the veins. If it was just for me, I would have made it hotter but I wanted my wife and possibly my kids to be able to eat some too.

Looks great! How was the sauce? The ingredients sure sound good together.

Comment

• jumbo7676
          jumbo7676 commented
          Editing a comment
          I like it a lot, especially since I was able to get a lot of the ingredients at my local farmers market. I would prefer more heat so I would leave in some of the pepper veins next time. So far I have really enjoyed it on some arctic char, eggs, and in the board sauce for the steak. Will find other ways to use it over the next few weeks. Thinking maybe stuffing some chicken breast with it.

Love your preparation. Everything measured, segregated and ready to go. A man of method. And the steak looks great too.

Comment

• jumbo7676
          jumbo7676 commented
          Editing a comment
          A few years ago, I saw a product (I think on Kickstarter) and loved the concept. It's a prep station with a folding cutting board that wraps around it to close. A side drawer slides out with a peeler, graters, and other tools that fit right on top of the included containers. I'm not a huge fan of the included cutting board or the container lids, but overall it is pretty handy for some mise en place. prepdeck.com

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here