Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marathon Chuck Roast - had to order pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marathon Chuck Roast - had to order pizza

So, last week I cooked 2 chuck roasts one 4.5 and one 3.75 lbs. Put them on about 9 AM and they were ready for dinner around 6:30 with a good 30 min plus rest. This week I was moving some stuff around in the freezer and saw that one of my Porter Road chuckies must have gotten a pinhole as it wasn't vac sealed tight and there was a little ice inside the bag, meat still looked fine, so decided to thaw it and cook it yesterday before it got any freezer burn. Since it was only around 2.5 pounds, my logic said it should cook quicker than the 2 almost double their size the week before. I was a touch later than I wanted getting it on around 11:00 AM. Cooked on Smoke Boost mode for an hour, then set temp to 250. Double wrapped in butcher paper about 3:00 and turned temp up to 275. At 5:00 PM temp was still in the 160s. About 6:00 I hooked up the Fireboard to make sure SmokeFire temp was close to accurate, it was. Turned temp up to 300 and ordered pizza for dinner. At 9:00PM it finally hit 205 so I lowered the temp back to 225 and finally pulled the roast of at 10:00 PM after 11 hours. (I hold chuck roast around 205 on the smoker for an hour after it gets there).

Let it rest for 30 mins and shredded it up to eat for lunches I guess. I sampled a few bites while packing it away and it was one of the better one's I've cooked, but just baffled by the vast difference in cook time of this versus much bigger roasts just a week ago. I did wrap the Mexican roasts in foil versus butcher paper. I know that's a little bit of a boost, but still seems crazy to have a smaller cut take 2 plus hours longer. Brings truth to the ole "It's done when it's done".

I am no expert, but I have read here many times that the thickness, not the weight governs cook time. Was the latest roast way thicker than the first two? Just a thought

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      No, it was was a little thinner. Probably at least 1/2".

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Then I’m stumped. 🤷‍♂️

Good things come to those who wait?

Comment

Yup. These things happen. Had a buddy last month do a pork butt that went into an 8 hr stall. Dveryone ate pizza for dinner that night. He didn't wrap or turn the heat up, just waited it out and had the best damned pulled pork breakfast tacos.

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
        Brings truth to the ole "It's done when it's done".
        Your honor, I rest my case....

Comment

After that amount of time, it's really just a matter of getting it "done." Once the bark developed the way I like it, I would have wrapped that in foil and cranked up the heat as hot as it takes to get it moving. Then I have just bought some time to allow for a nice long hold.

Another advantage of using foil for this is you get to save all those tasty drippings. Not to mention, I get annoyed when a dead steer tries to tell me what time I'm allowed to eat dinner.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the bark preservation better with butcher paper over foil. Though, I probably should have just gone higher sooner when I could see it was a slow mover.

Well, what kind a pizza did ya order?

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Pizza Hut :-( On Sundays our choices are that and Casey's (convenience store chain with good pizza) and Casey's was an hour wait.

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotta love Casey's pizza. Typically around 90 minutes for delivery around here on the weekends.

Casey's do make some good pizza!
          Only 5 blocks from home, too!

Comment

It kind of aggravates me that people still don't know how to tell when a piece of meat is going to be done, so here's how you figure it out.

Lean over and ask the roast, the brisket, the pork butt, whatever, what time it is going to be done, if it doesn't give you an answer, then it doesn't know either.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Idle threats and cursing help a bit too.
              At least they help me, the meat seems oblivious to it all.

• shify
              shify commented
              Editing a comment
              smokin fool - sounds like he didn’t pace back and forth enough, check the thermometer for the 100th time or mutter enough. The meat knows.

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I get better cooperation when I give them a deadline, just so we're on the same page as far as the expectations.

Lol sounds alot like my bronco diaries

Comment

I guess this just proves that each piece of meat is different. I get the question all the time, what time is dinner. It is like my kids asking me are we there yet?

Comment

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                My wife has finally caught on about cooking to temperature instead of time.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here