Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I wet age other cuts of beef besides brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I wet age other cuts of beef besides brisket?

Have some chuckies and short ribs from Creekstone Farms in the freezer and was going to cook them in three weeks. Should I get them out of the freezer now so they can wet age? Or is that really just for briskets? Thanks.

Personally I wouldn't bother. Wet aging is safe and works with original cryovac, so that's the initial qualifier, if that's what the meat is in. Next, wet aging is to help tenderize. Most chuckies are plenty tender whether you take them to medium-rare or all the way up to 210* for pulled beef. Shorties...well, I've never wet aged any myself, but I've never found them in cryovac either, always the foam tray with plastic wrap. They always cook up plenty tender when treated just like little brisket candy bars, take to 197-207, complete with an hour or two of "faux cambro" hold time.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, sir. Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here