Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vibe Chuck Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vibe Chuck Steak

Just for FYI
    I watched Meathead work with a Sous Vibe (SV) and a Chuck Steak and had to try it. Like most things I do I make it harder then it needs to be.

2 Chuck Steaks (one Prime & one Choice) 1 1/2 inch thick. The prime is on the right in the pic.
    The Choice got standard rub then vacuum sealed
    The Prime got salt & pepper with fresh thyme and rosemary then vacuum sealed

Both spent the night in the frig.

Got them out and back to room temp. Sous Vibe @132 degrees for 24 hours.

Out to the grill next and a 600 degree cast iron flat top. Got a crust on them then into the pellet smoker using apple pellets for 3 hours @ 200 degrees.

Took the liquid from the sealed bags and mixed it with some BBQ sauce to make a glaze as they smoked.

The Wife and a couple of friends said it was GREAT

Enjoy
    Attached Files

Yum!

Comment

The pic is 14 hours after being in the frig

Comment

Comment

Nice..

Comment

A couple of things here. There's never any need to take meat to room temperature, especially not if you're going to plop them into a Sous Vide, also not if you're going to smoke or grill them. Meat takes on smoke much more readily when it is cold, and develops a better bark. I'm also really curious as to the point of putting it in the smoker for an additional 3 hours after you'd already seared them off. At that point, the IT should have been medium rare or medium. Seems to me you risk over cooking them by doing that.

Comment

LOOKS GOOD!!!!

I have a chuck in the water bath right now. Plan on taking it out after work (36hrs at 135), chill over night, and finish on the smoker tomorrow.

Comment

Those look great! I do mine in a similar fashion, but different order. For me it's, smoke, water, sear. It's always fun to see how others get it done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here