Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoulder Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder Roast

I have a 3-lbs beef "shoulder roast" and have no idea what to do with it. Anyone have any suggestions?

I buy these often. It's just my wife and I so a whole butt is way too much. Just cook it like a whole butt. It will be great.

Comment

Yup, what Jfrosty27 said. Ya can then have dinner see some aside fer leave em overs & freeze a bunch fer another time. Show us how it turns out.

Comment

Shoulders are my go to, above advice is spot on

Comment

Yup. What they 👆👆said. A very forgiving cut however true low n slow will not disappoint you.

IMHO I think just slightly less forgiving than a pork butt. It’s gonna be delicious.

Try some Hanks beef Rub. Perfect for it.

jeeze now I wanna cook one. You will be hooked on these.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you ever deep fried one?

I thought maybe this was mislabelled and wasn't actually a beef shoulder roast. It seemed incredibly lean and not like something that should be cooked low and slow, so I decided to just experiment with it and have some fun and I'd I ruined it, I would deal with that when the time came.

I found a recipe online for slow cooker barbacoa (maybe not traditional, but sounded tasty) and decided to modify it to try a pellet grill braised barbacoa. Cut the meat into chunks, tossed it in a pan with some beef broth, garlic, onion, spices, a can of diced green chilies, a few canned chipotles in adobo and threw it on the pellet smoker. Started it at 200 just to get some smoke then jumped closer to 300 to cook the beef and evaporate the liquid. Wrapped the pan towards the end, as the liquid had reduced and I wanted to get the beef to pulling temp.

Once the temp got higher, the meat had gotten pretty dry and clearly wasn't something that was going to pull. I took it off the smoker, chopped it, and tossed it in the pan to mix. It was delicious, and the sauce left in the pan helps fix the dry meat problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_104544.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	883840
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_161146.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	883841

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here