Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too many ribs for the cooker problem - need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many ribs for the cooker problem - need advice

Hey folks,

I am doing a short rib cook this weekend using Meathead's BBBR, my Weber Kettle and the SnS v1.0 (my three best friends). Trouble is, I've invited my neighbor and his pups - well, that's not really the trouble, it's that I've got 20 bricks of beef and there just isn't enough room on the grate for them all, at least not on the right side of the water reservoir. I do have a hovergrill which can give me the extra real estate I need, but I'm a little concerned about the higher temps up there. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Dinner is Sunday, 5pm. I plan to start around 9:30 or 10am and Cambro for 1-2 hrs depending on the pace of things.

Thanks much!

EDIT: On reflection, I have realized that considering "too many ribs" a problem is like worrying about "too much heaven". Thank you for your consideration despite this glaring mischaracterization of the facts.
    Last edited by Mister C; July 17, 2020, 02:17 PM.

Temp the area on the top grate vs the bottom grate. Rotate the meat once or twice during the cook. You will be fine.

Comment

• JCGrill
      JCGrill commented
      Editing a comment
      This

• Mister C
      Mister C commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Looks like lots of people concur with your assessment.

Not that it will help you for tomorrow. But if you have too many ribs to fit on your cooker I thinks you might just need another cooker.

Comment

• BFlynn
      BFlynn commented
      Editing a comment
      PBCs are on sale...... Just saying

• Mister C
      Mister C commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't tempt me, man.

Click image for larger version

Name:	48lu81.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	882094

Comment

Do half of them Saturday. They reheat just fine.

Comment

• Mister C
        Mister C commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a good idea, though I think I'll try it on my own before sharing. Last time I had a few leftovers, I foil wrapped them and stuck them in the oven at 250 for about 20 minutes. They tasted great but not as buttery as the day before. Any suggestions on how I might fix that?

Can you stand them on end?

Comment

• Mister C
        Mister C commented
        Editing a comment
        Never tried that, though all of the advice I've received over the years is "bone side down". Thanks for the suggestion though!

I've learned to "start earlier" more meat = more time. Its better to have a long hold then not done on time. Good luck!

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        Sage advice

• Mister C
        Mister C commented
        Editing a comment
        Good thinking. I did about a dozen a few weeks back and was a little concerned at the stall point, but I added a bit more fuel and cranked my way past it with no ill effects. Finished up in about 5 hours flat, not including an hour in the Cambro. I'll add 1.5-2 extra hours for this round to be safe.

Mister C I use a hover grill a lot with my SNS on the 22" Performer to get more capacity for smoking on my kettle. Just cook the way you normally would, but swap meat top to bottom halfway through the cook. I do "blasphemy" ribs this way all the time, and just have to swap all the meat around using my tongs and a holding pan mid-cook. No biggie.

The hover grill will stick out just an inch or two over the SNS, but its not a big deal, and it really does help fit a lot more on the kettle.

For cooking slabs of pork spare ribs or baby backs, I use a Weber rib rack, which allows up to 5 slabs of ribs to be stood on edge in the area not occupied by the SNS.

Comment

• Mister C
        Mister C commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks - great to get some feedback from folks with similar equipment. I feel much more confident now.

I think yer gonna be golden with what yer rollin with...

I have more than one kettle, an have 2 hovergrills,1 Upper deck, plus 1 Sns shelf, as well... They all work jus fine, ime, an if ya have yer fire under control / stable at th F° the ya want it, unless they're really sensitive foods, I rarely haveta move / rotate stuff much. Did, at first...got over it.
      Jus look, check, observe, determine, react, respond appropriately, enjoy, brag, if'n that's yer thing...

In between doin all that, always remember.....

We Wants Pics!!!!!!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 18, 2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Well, looks like ya have a consensus here. Rotate with the hover grill & then tomorrow go out & add to yer collection of cookers, yessir!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Good Plan, I wholeheartedly concur, Brother!!!!

• Mister C
        Mister C commented
        Editing a comment
        I love this crowd.

I’d start much earlier, depending on what temp you’re cooking at. Short ribs take about 10 hours for me at 250 cooker temp.

Comment

• Mister C
        Mister C commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks - we'll have almost 100 degree temps here in VA tomorrow and high humidity, that tends to help it along some. I got a dozen of the same ribs done in 5 hours last week, averaged a little over 250 in the early going but it didn't seem to affect the food at all, so hopefully an extra 2 hours or so should be a safe place. Plus my neighbor always runs a little late with his (he's doing a beef tenderloin), so I'll probably be cambro-ing for a bit anyway!

Checking back in - The hovergrill was a bit of a bust, user error really. I got things squared away eventually and the cook went well overall. Cambro-ing now. Pics and full tale at the link below. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here