Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide que brisket turned out dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide que brisket turned out dry

Hi all, my first post here (hurray!)
    So I've tried the sous vide que brisket and it turned out quite dry. I did not follow the recipe precisely (unintentionally) and made the following deviations: Dry brining was in a closed container, when the meat was taken out of the bags after the sous vide I had something like 4 cups of fluid left in the bags instead of two for 7 pounds of meat, the cold bath wasn't that cold so it cooled down only to about 80f, I smoked it in a kamado at 250f instead of 225 until it reached 125f. What do you think were the major causes for it to turn out dry? I suspect the excessive fluid loss after sous vidding but I don't know why it happened.
    Any thoughts/pointers for next time?
    Cheers,
    Ilan

Edit:
    I'm from Israel and most of the meat here is kosher, that is it's brined after being butchered though not as thoroughly for slow and low techniques. Turns out I need to use smaller amounts of salt due to this, maybe this was the cause. Will post an update.
    ​​
    Last edited by ilant207; July 18, 2020, 12:43 PM.

Was it a brisket flat?

How many other briskets have you cooked non-sous vide que?

Comment

• ilant207
      ilant207 commented
      Editing a comment
      It was a flat, not the point. This is the second time I've tried brisket, first was in the kamado only and I didn't wrap it well enough once it got to stall so it dried out completely, turned out to be a yummy corned beef heh.
      Last edited by ilant207; July 17, 2020, 12:31 PM.

Can you give us details on time/temp in the bath?

Comment

• ilant207
      ilant207 commented
      Editing a comment
      30 hours at 150f

You also need to tell us the quality of the brisket itself as well. If it was of select quality versus prime or Wagyu that’s one reason for dryness, lack of intramuscular fat.

With all that purge, however, I suspect something occurred in the bath to suck that much moisture out of the meat.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Flats, depending on the thickness, are notoriously prone to drying out, there's simply not enough fat content in the meat to keep it moist. You can try injecting it with a commercial injection (like Butcher's) or with something as simple as beef broth. You might also want to drizzle an entire can of beef broth slowly over the meat itself before you wrap. It will absorb a lot of that and provide moisture. Or you can do what I do and make corned beef out of it !!!

• ilant207
      ilant207 commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you think the point will turn out better?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Points generally turn out much better due to their fat content

Welcome to The Pit. I can't help...

Comment

What temp did you run the sous vide, how long?
      Why did you smoke it to 250? I bet you didn't run sous vide at 250.You negated all the advantages of sous by smoking it at high temp.

Comment

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        He smoked at 250, not to 250. He pulled at 125. I don't think a 25 degree difference in pit temperature would have caused those kinds of problems. My guess is the high amount of purge would point where to look.

One theory I always toss in the ring is, you can do everything right and too the letter but if you brought a brisket that came off some tough old bull or milked out cow there ain’t no way no how you can cook it and have it taste good
      Its the luck of the draw

Comment

tdimond Here is what I do with SV smoked briskets. Sous at 155 and smoke temp no higher than 180. It's already cooked. Basically just reheating in the smoker

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here