Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the tri-tip I did last night. Cooked SV at 131F for 8 hours, then seared. (Served with steamed broccolini and mashed cauliflower and gravy).

Click image for larger version

Name:	tt-broc-mash.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	882476

Comment

I honestly can't say I'd ever try a pre-marinated one. But who am I to say, my wife buys the occasional pre-marinated pork tenderloin and those darn things are actually very delicious! Nervous with per-seasoned beef though. Creekstone Farms just had a sale of their Prime tri tips for $20 off so I bit. I hope to change my impression of them. I want to SV at least one. I've cooked maybe 3 or 4 over the years and never was impressed with them, even doing all I know to do to make them great.

Comment

Looks like this cook is getting pushed out a couple of days due to family scheduling. I will update after the cook.

Comment

It will likely be delicious. The horse is out of the barn on salt and marinade. Either way you cook should be ok, just don’t burn it over shoot and cut against both grains.

you’ll be fine. In my experience premarinaded meat cooks faster for just eyeball it.

I look forward to your review as i see those often but never bought them.

Comment

OK, Captain Pedantic at your service. (My apologies, but I can't take it anymore) It's marinaTe, dammit. One marinaTes in a MarinaDe. Use a "T" when it's a verb and a "D" when it's a noun. We marinaTe in a marinaDe! C'mon folks, we're the vanguard of proper cooking/grilling. Let's get the lingo right too!

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            ... 👍

I also have never used a pre marinade Tri Tip. I get them when available here and almost treat them like a brisket. I salt it down with kosher salt over night, but a dry rub on it set up my Weber Kettle with my Slow n Sir, bring it up to about 125 then sir each side about 90 seconds each. Then enjoy

Comment

I finally got around to cooking one of these. Once I opened the cryopac, I could definitely tell it was in a marinade. I ended up scraping some of it off, as it was about 1/8" at least all the way around and smelled heavily seasoned.

Name:	Tri1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	885194
            I still have a couple more of these, so I will definitely debrine for a couple hours on the next ones. Not overly salty, but a little too much for my liking.

I tossed on my smoker at 250 for almost an hour to an IT of ~125 then tossed on my side fire box with some hot coals.

Name:	Tri2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	885195
            As expected, it did shrink up some on the grill, but ended up with some good charring. The wife wanted this one cooked a little longer so I ended up pulling at around 135 and at cutting, it was around 140 around the outer edges and a little less towards the center for my slices.

Name:	Tri3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	885196
            Overall, for a pre-marinade it wasn't all that bad. The thing I really disliked about it, which I'm sure is typical with pre-marinades, was that some portions of the meat had a mushy texture to it. Now, not in all areas, but just enough for it to be recognizable. Like I said, I have a couple more of these to use up. After that I don't think I will get them again. It was a pretty fun and decent cook, at the end of the day however.

Thanks to all for the earlier suggestions.

Comment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like there is quite a bit of fat on there. If the others are like that I would trim it off. You'll get more bark if that's what you like.

Tri Tip needs to be cut cross grain which can be tricky, are you familiar with the cut and did you do it? If not, maybe caused mushy....maybe....dunno

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              Tri Tip needs to be cut point to the v, then the two halves can be cut cross grain, just a thought, guessing here

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              I find slicing tri-tip very easy. The ones I get (and the only ones I have ever seen) the grain really runs in one direction if you look at right. I find the direction, and cut from the point to the end. That gets a little hard near the end because of the space between the two wings, but at that point I can cut them apart and continue slicing, but I don't have to change directions.

• wrgilb
              wrgilb commented
              Editing a comment

Good video on cutting Tri-tip.

I've cooked a fair amount of tri-tip, it is really my go to before the meat slowdown.

Best thing I have found so far is to pay a buck or so more and get prime rather than select. I get mine at Costco.

Here is a video that about every site online links to, it is from Weber. I couldn't find the vid I liked, where the guy puts a slice along the grain before cooking, so it will be easy to ID which way the grain is running when it comes back cooked, looking like a red and brown and black blob of meaty goodness.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here