Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tips

So, I found these at my local Krogers on sale. I have never tried tri tips before, so these look interesting. Not a big fan of pre-marinades, but I figured I would buy several of each to try out the different flavors. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for cooking these? I'm thinking toss on my smoker at 225 until 120 or so then reverse sear. They have a pretty high percentage of liquid added to them, so I'm expecting much shrinkage. I'm wondering if searing on the grill, or flat top would be better?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tritip.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	881672

I'd stop a little lower and sear to desired temp. I don't have a flat top. Good time to experiment.

Comment

I’ve always been a little leery of marinated tri-tips as they generally seem to be cheaper than non-marinated. Logically they should cost more. Always makes me wonder what they’re hiding.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        The weight of the marinade? I’m just throwing a guess out there as I know if my brain is working at the store I’m not paying full meat prices for liquid spices.
        Last edited by glitchy; July 16, 2020, 11:15 PM.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        ...but hey that looks good has caught me by surprise in the store before...and then I get home and think about it.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        I steer clear of pre-marinaded meat and wet cured bacon. Of course, if they put it on the clearance table and mark it down enough I'd be tempted to try it.
        Last edited by Bkhuna; July 17, 2020, 03:17 AM.

I do tri-tips often, almost as often as ribs. Have never tried pre-marinade, and never done a marinade either. I always take mine to 135F for a finish, never done a final sear, though that's next on my list. If you have several, you could try taking it to just under your finish temp on one, try the reverse sear on the others. Well, after reading this, I'm not much help. If it were my choice, that's what I'd do, just experiment, because unless you burn it, there's not much else you can get wrong.

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I will post the final results!

Comment

Never seen them pre Marinaded. I marinade myself.

That's exactly how I cook them - smoke to 115 and sear to 128.
          I like a flat surface for searing. Last one I did, got the CI pan up to 500+

Did a second Tri Tip in the PBC -- Trying for a better crust this time. Took a chance in letting the grocery delivery guy pick out the meat. He didn't do a bad job with limited selection. Grass fed, choice, decent marbling. start.jpg Marinade in cabernet/soy/ginger marinade for 4 hours. Which seems to be plenty of time.
          Last edited by BFlynn; July 17, 2020, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Just did this one last night. I always cook them like a thick ass steak. Dry brine over night or at least several hours. 225 indirect until an IT of 115. Then lightly coat with butter or oil and season. Then sear it on my gasser with grill grates or directly over coals. Flip frequently (every 30 seconds to a minute) until IT is 127ish. Let rest for a few minutes and then devour. Never done a marinade though.

After the low n' slow:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200716_205204.jpg Views:	0 Size:	543.9 KB ID:	881932

Searing. Notice after the first minute or so of full sear, I position it so the thinner ends are no longer directly over the heat for the rest of the searing. That helps keep them from getting over done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200716_210402.jpg Views:	0 Size:	370.0 KB ID:	881933

Finished

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200716_211929.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.73 MB ID:	881934
            Last edited by Rod; July 17, 2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              Beautiful and nice crust. Yum.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Woosh!!

I see these at my Ralph's (Kroger's) too. Never bought one, but I'm sure their good. TT on sale at Ralph's right now - $4.99/lb trimmed. Cooking one tomorrow night.

I'd front sear and then finish it off indirect. You have better control.
            Last edited by TripleB; July 17, 2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I pretty much always reverse sear my tri tips. For most steaks I like them at about 125 degrees so I pull them off the low heat at around 115 before searing. Lately with tri tips I have been preferring them at around 130-135 degrees so I wait until they are at 125 before searing.

Comment

As a California native I’ve cooked countless tri-tip over the years. It’s a finicky but delicious cut...when cooked right.

All it needs is salt, pepper, and garlic (that’s the classic Santa Maria rub, where this cut was made famous). Pre-marinades usually have a bunch of other junk that hides the great flavor of beef.

Reverse sear is definitely the way to go. Smoker or cool side of a grill are great options. I like to leave 15-20°F for the sear, so I’d pull it at 115°F shooting for a final IT of 135°F.

I’ve seared beef on my Blackstone griddle, but with tri-tip I definitely prefer a rip roaring fire on the grill.

Overcook it and it’ll be like shoe leather, so watch those temps like a hawk near the end. When cutting you must cut against the grain or you’ll be chewing each bite for 10 mins.

Happy cooking. Looking forward to your results.

Comment

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention is salt content of that marinade. I would not suggest salt brining it at all. Season with a good coffee type rub and treat it, as was so succinctly said, like a big ass steak.

Good luck, every time I try pre-marinaded meat it has lactates and phosphates for tenderization that is off putting to me. But you got 'em, now you gotta cook 'em !!!!

Comment

• Rocinante
                    Rocinante commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, Yep, I don't plan on doing any seasoning to them. Just going at it as with the marinades and hoping for the best.....

Sooooooooo, we’re waitin. Wha happened?

Comment

• Rocinante
                    Rocinante commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They are going on Saturday night.........

I've found pre-marinades to be just this side of embalming fluid. I'd give that meat a good soak in some clean water.

Comment

There is a market near San Diego, CA that makes a tri-Tip nicknamed "Cardiff Crack". The market is in Cardiff By The Sea and it is nicknamed "Cardiff Crack" because it is soooo good that is almost addicting. It is a heavily marinated tri-tip with a secret burgundy pepper marinade, infused via vacuum tumbling. They are sold fresh at the market, but also online - not sure about where they will ship.

It is a regular on our menu. Their method: two zone grill. Forward sear on the hot zone, 5 minutes a side (be careful as the sugars in the marinade will char, so flip or move often). Then to the cooler zone until IT hits 130-135. Since my wife likes more medium, I pull at 135. Slice across the grain. Yummmm!

So, I think these might be handled in a similar manner. As others note, some marinades are heavy on the salt, particularly in pre-packaged ideas like yours are. Do NOT over cook as noted above. Enjoy!

Comment

Troutman posted a wonderful wine marinade and sauce recipe here in the Pit awhile back. It is my wife’s favorite preparation for tri-tip. Hopefully you will be able to sometime find a good unmarinaded tri-tip and try that as a marinade.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here