Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Beef Pepperoni

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Beef Pepperoni

Anyone out there ever make 100% beef pepperoni - no pork? Sadly, pork does not agree with my Mrs. so I'm in search of a home brew recipe for pepperoni for pizzas. I've seen posts where some spoon in Morton's pink salt (excessively - like 1 Tbsp per pound) and spices in with the meat, form into sausages - no casings - then cook or smoke. However, I also understand that Prague powder is to be used with caution, like 1 tsp per pound? It's my gut-feeling that it might be akin to the lamb shoulder plus beef or lamb suet sausage recipe. Anyway, any pointers would be great! Thanks.

I know that Morton's Tenderquick is not the same thing as Prague powder#1. That said, Morton's has a recipe on line which calls for 1½ teaspoons.

1 pound lean ground beef
    1-1/2 level teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick mix or Morton's Sugar Cure (plain)
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, slightly crushed
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon anise seed
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Directions

Combine all ingredients, mixing until thoroughly blended. Divide mixture in half. Shape each half into slender roll about 1-1/2 inch in diameter. Wrap in plastic or foil. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap rolls and place on broiler pan.

Bake at 325°F until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of a roll reads 160°F, 50 to 60 minutes. Store wrapped in refrigerator. Use within 3 to 5 days or freeze for later use.

Comment

• David Arrich
      David Arrich commented
      Editing a comment
      I've found several recipes since but was looking to the "boots on the ground" cooks who belong to this forum to advise so thank you for finding and posting that recipe here. I'll make your's and the recipes I find, evaluate them and post the closest-tasting clone recipe for others to use. Thanks for the feedback and the Prague #1 conversion. This what makes this forum so great!
      Last edited by David Arrich; July 25, 2020, 06:14 PM.

I bought some for a replacement for prochutto in a sandwich with brie and fig jam for a friend of my wife's that does not eat pork. OMG it was wonderful!

Comment

• David Arrich
      David Arrich commented
      Editing a comment
      You can't go wrong there!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here