Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today’s cook:coffee back ribs & mock country ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    Red Man , closest I’ve come is a bone-in ribeye. I love medium rare. I’ll definitely give some a shot at medium rare, then! Thanks

• holehogg
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. Bones I hope them used beans aren't from the sixties 😊

• Red Man
    commented on 's reply
    patcrail I don’t do a lot of back ribs, it’s been a few years. I’ve done them both ways and they’re always good.

• Red Man
    replied
    Have you ever gnawed on the bones from a medium rare rib roast? The temp you take them to just depends what you’re looking for. More bark or medium rare. They’re great either way.

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    replied
    So how high do you guys take back ribs? I keep thinking (and hearing from a couple folks) that they’re rib meat so “they don’t need to go to 203”.... and they probed tender at probably 135... but I keep reading (here included) that they need to go all the way up. They were damned good, and not the least dry, after 9 hours, but temp peaked about 190, then actually dropped to about 180 and sat there for a couple of hours when I finally pulled them.
    I can’t complain about them at all, but keep wondering if I could’ve pulled them a lot lower and got something more akin to ribeye?

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    Red Man that’s what I thought, but every recipe or article I find, even here, all say to take them all the way up because of the connective tissue.... it was honestly probe tender at maybe 135, but hard tell about the tissue.... how high do you take back ribs? They were damned good at 180-ish after 9 hours, but honestly seemed like they could have been pulled a lot earlier... not the least bit dry, though

• patcrail
    replied
    I ended up pulling them, they were awesome. Forgot to get a pic until we had gnawed on them awhile.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Pull!

• Red Man
    replied
    Back ribs are cut off a rib roast. They will be tender long before they hit 203.

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    replied
    First try on ribs, any other cut I’d pull now based on probe feel

Leave a comment:

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    HawkerXP at least the old lady Is asleep, and plenty of beer, just shocked that these ribs are still below 190 after 9 hours, and are probe tender, taking everything I have not to pull them

• patcrail
    commented on 's reply
    HawkerXP you’re dead on, but now what? Keep going for 203, or pull now at 190 & probe tender?
    First ever beef ribs

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Good times until the beer runs out or the wife locks the door

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Got to love this sh%t! Just when you think you have it down. BANG.

• patcrail
    replied
    Damn, so 8 1/2 hours in, fires actually a little hotter, 250 vs 220, but the meat has been stuck at 190 for well past an hour, actually dropped to 180... weird as hell, probe tender, but gonna go on up to 203

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis