Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today’s cook:coffee back ribs & mock country ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today’s cook:coffee back ribs & mock country ribs

Got a nice rack of beef back ribs & a couple of hunks off the tough side of a chuck roast (mock Country style ribs, since I’m using the eye for something else).
    First time beef ribs of any kind. Dry brined overnight & smothered in BBBR with a dash of cumin & about a tbsp of coffee added in. Got them on the cooker at 12:30, hoping for a 7-ish finish. Smoking with pecan chunks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by patcrail; July 16, 2020, 11:18 AM.

A little nervous about the coffee in the rub, but I have some sauce with it in there and it’s great.... so in case y’all ain’t figured it out yet, my motto is: "Why the hell not? Let’s try it!" 😎

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Coffee works fine, did ya use fresh? I occasionally save back a basket of used from my Ma's '60's Corninware percolator, dry em by spreadin em out on a sheet pan, an save in a baggie fer mixin in my rubs, an dishes...

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I hope them used beans aren't from the sixties 😊

First report: at an hour in, the "faux country ribs" were probe-tender at 135, the "chef’s treats" were as well. (I cut these from grocer chuck roasts that are at least partly eye, trying to figure out how much)They were damned good (flavor), and I thought very tender, BUT I let Kathie try a slice, and she thought a little chewy... loved the flavor (coffee and all, didn’t tell her till after), but she insisted they needed to go back on, she claimed too chewy. Maybe her sample was different from mine, because I had almost no chew... but she wins, they’re back on for the duration with the rack
    Attached Files

Comment

They’re almost to 150 IT, not sure if there’s a stall with these, but not gonna try to crutch—- only 2.5 hours in, starting to get a very nice bark, just gonna let it roll!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by patcrail; July 16, 2020, 01:04 PM.

Comment

5 hours in, out of the stall and just hit 172... coffee is adding an incredible note to the aroma
        Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          What coffee did ya use, Brother? Store boughten, fresh ground, etc.? Jus curious...I use it frequently.

Lookin really delicious, Pat!!!!!

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          Just used grounds from a big tub of Maxwell House I had... nothin’ special.... you notice a difference with fresh ground or using already brewed, Mr. Bones ?

Kinda stumped,’seem to have stalled out again! at 190, actually dropped to 185??? Gonna keep on pushing for 203, but really weird to see them stall again at 190???

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          2nd stalls ain't unheared of, is yer fire still bout th same?

Damn, so 8 1/2 hours in, fires actually a little hotter, 250 vs 220, but the meat has been stuck at 190 for well past an hour, actually dropped to 180... weird as hell, probe tender, but gonna go on up to 203

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Got to love this sh%t! Just when you think you have it down. BANG.

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP you’re dead on, but now what? Keep going for 203, or pull now at 190 & probe tender?
          First ever beef ribs

Good times until the beer runs out or the wife locks the door

Comment

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP at least the old lady Is asleep, and plenty of beer, just shocked that these ribs are still below 190 after 9 hours, and are probe tender, taking everything I have not to pull them

First try on ribs, any other cut I’d pull now based on probe feel

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Pull!

Back ribs are cut off a rib roast. They will be tender long before they hit 203.

Comment

• patcrail
          patcrail commented
          Editing a comment
          Red Man that’s what I thought, but every recipe or article I find, even here, all say to take them all the way up because of the connective tissue.... it was honestly probe tender at maybe 135, but hard tell about the tissue.... how high do you take back ribs? They were damned good at 180-ish after 9 hours, but honestly seemed like they could have been pulled a lot earlier... not the least bit dry, though

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          patcrail I don’t do a lot of back ribs, it’s been a few years. I’ve done them both ways and they’re always good.

I ended up pulling them, they were awesome. Forgot to get a pic until we had gnawed on them awhile.
        Attached Files

Comment

So how high do you guys take back ribs? I keep thinking (and hearing from a couple folks) that they’re rib meat so "they don’t need to go to 203".... and they probed tender at probably 135... but I keep reading (here included) that they need to go all the way up. They were damned good, and not the least dry, after 9 hours, but temp peaked about 190, then actually dropped to about 180 and sat there for a couple of hours when I finally pulled them.
          I can’t complain about them at all, but keep wondering if I could’ve pulled them a lot lower and got something more akin to ribeye?

Comment

Have you ever gnawed on the bones from a medium rare rib roast? The temp you take them to just depends what you’re looking for. More bark or medium rare. They’re great either way.

Comment

• patcrail
              patcrail commented
              Editing a comment
              Red Man , closest I’ve come is a bone-in ribeye. I love medium rare. I’ll definitely give some a shot at medium rare, then! Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here