Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st beef back ribs, need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st beef back ribs, need advice

Click image for larger version  Name:	33014548-E0A7-4ED1-B9C9-7231898B1BE3.jpeg Views:	16 Size:	2.50 MB ID:	881254 Got a decent looking 4-bone slab of beef back ribs today @ the grocery, look meaty to me. Never cooked these before, plan on low & slow to 203, but what about the silverskin on the bare rib side? I cut & peeled the top layer of it off, the bottom is fighting me bad, then I saw in some of Meathead articles that you should leave it on for beef short ribs, but can’t find much either way on back ribs.... any ideas? I’d have cut it all off, but the last bit is to the point where all I get are stringy bits... if I had an Xacto knife, I could probably shave it off, and I’ll try it with a single edge razor if taking it all off is the right thing to do—- EDIT—- decided I’m not scraping the rest off the bone side. Any other tips for back ribs?
    Last edited by patcrail; July 15, 2020, 04:19 PM.

Leave it. You aren't eating on that side.

Comment

The skin on beef back ribs does not peel as easily as on pork ribs. I remove it from in between the bones by bending the rack over so that the skin side kind of sticks out then slicing it off with a sharp flexible knife. I've cooked them with the skin on and don't prefer them that way.

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        The only skin is a very thin inner membrane on the back side of the bones.. the butcher removed it all from the meat side, & plenty of meat between the bones... I pulled the majority of the skin from the bone side... I’m at the point where I need a razor or a sharper boning knife than I have to separate any more, so I guess it’s gonna have to work

I never bother trying to pull the membrane, it's too much of a pain in the butt to be worth it.

Comment

• patcrail
        patcrail commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that’s pretty much my final decision... any other tips?

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Not too much to 'em, really. If you're using a salty rub put it on a couple hours in advance, same with dry brining. I usually cook at 250 in the kettle and a 3 bone slab usually takes 3-4 hours to probe tender. I usually run heavier smoke than I do for most things, but that's just personal preference. The real key is to cook to tenderness, not temp. I never wrap back ribs. That's about it, really, back ribs might be about the easiest low & slow to get right. pretty forgiving, really.

On beef ribs, there is little to no meat on the silverskin side. You will not eat that side anyway as Dewesq55 said. Also, if you cut all that off your ribs will fall apart! Leave it on. They can be tough so I resist wrapping.....keep cooking, get a great bark and enjoy!

Comment

I posted above about cutting the inner skin off the bone side of beef back ribs. Hunted through my picture collection and found this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	skinned.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	881346
        If you look at the rack on the right and just above the first rib bone you can see an area where I was a little sparse on the rub. The skin has been cut off. In my opinion, exposing the bone side meat between the bones both lets a little rub get in there and smoke to permeate from that side. Its very easy to cut the skin off by flexing the bones and slicing with a sharp-flexible blade knife.

OK, I'm putting away my soap box now.

Comment

I cook my beef ribs at 225..250..till internal temp at 200..210 max..
          do not remove siver skin from back side..no reason to do this
          i cook them over a drip pan..filled with chopped onions/bell pepper and apple juice..at end of cook run this thru a fat speratior and you will have a nice dip
          i trim all the fat off..cover with crystal hot sauce and heavy on kosher salt .let rest in fridge at least over nite..remove and add crushed black pepper..come to room temp before i put on pit.
          ive cooked them on Green Egg..come out fanstick..buttery and tender..well smoked
          on Master built charcoal gravity..came out really nice..cooked about 7 hours at 225..
          on barrel house cooker..i just cant get it like i whish for this way..cooks faster may be my issue..good but not the same as the green egg or masterbuilt
          on my cinder block open pit..by far the best but way more effort with the fire...getting a little to old to manage a fire for 13 hours..plus i am getting to lazy to keep good wood around..me and chainsaws are no longer friends..bad back
          . i did them on the pk orginal...just one time..
          also great..
          i use fogo charcoal most times...i will cook over B&B lump..just sparks a little to much i think
          thats just me...and as always i pass it around the neighborhood

Comment

• Towering Inferno
            Towering Inferno commented
            Editing a comment
            I have some beef plate ribs I am wanting to cook. You have cooked on the Masterbuilt Gravity. What temp do you set yours at and do you use the bottom rack for this process? I have only done a few cooks on mine, and I feel things cook really fast (not necessarily a good thing) I don't know if I should trust the temp probe that comes with it that shows the cooking chamber temp or use external probes and adjust accordingly. Any advice would be welcome.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here