Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apprehensive about overnight cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann-Marie in the backyard
    commented on 's reply
    Glad to be here!

commented on 's reply
    Thanks -- nice to be here!

commented on 's reply
    Hi, neighbor! Thanks!

commented on 's reply
    The Thermopro has been terrific for monitoring grate & meat temps for pork butt, smoked bacon and tri-tip I've done. I may have to finagle a bit with the location of the receiver to make sure the signal carries inside the house, but that's an easy project. Thanks very much for the suggestion on high/low temps!

commented on 's reply
    Jim, thanks so much for the detailed information! I normally use KBB but I got my hands on a bag of Weber briquettes that I was saving -- maybe this is the time to open it up.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit!

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    +3, crank it up.

• Rod
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on the Weber briquettes. I've gotten 16 hours at 225 for a full SnS load in my 22.
    Last edited by Rod; July 14, 2020, 04:36 PM.

• Huskee
    replied
    Welcome! I'm NW of you about ~2hrs. You'll have a good cook if you have a thermometer with alarms. You'll need to plan on tunking the coals to drop the ash and sweeping the ash at or near the 4hr mark, and a probably re-load of charcoal (and another ash sweep) at about the 8 hr mark, give or take. At 12-17lbs I'm usually at 12 hrs total, including 1-2hrs of "faux cambro" hold time, cooking at 250ish and wrapping after the stall.

Leave a comment:

• Ahumadora
    commented on 's reply
    +1 bang that baby to 375F and see how they wayward brisket jumps to attention!!

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    Great explanation jfmorris .

• BillyBriskets
    replied
    I do overnights with kettle and thermoworks smoke. My 2 cents are don’t expect a great nights sleep and remember to turn your temp probe alarm on!

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Ann-Marie in the backyard I will add that since you have the Thermopro, you ought to be able to monitor both meat and grate level temp on the kettle from inside the house. I just read the Thermopro TP20 manual online, and it appears probe 2 can be set with both a HI and a LOW alarm, that can wake you up if the charcoal starts running out, or things get out of control. That said, I would not set it to close to your desired temp. I usually set my alarms to 200F (low) and 300F (high) on overnight cooks, and am happy if the kettle stays in the 225 to 250 range.

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    replied
    I have done a number of overnight cooks on my Weber with the SNS. I will usually get everything going and let it run for an hour or two just to make sure the temp is holding somewhat steady where I want it to be and then go to sleep for a couple hours, wake up, check my temps, go back to sleep, check again in a couple hours, and so on.

If you are extra picky about what temperature your grill is at you might want to check every hour. Personally if I am shooting for 250 degrees I will set my high and low alarms at 300 and 200. Anywhere in that range is fine with me for an overnight cook. If you are exhausted the next day take a couple hour nap while the meat rests in the cooler.

Leave a comment:

• SmokeyGator
    replied
    I do overnight cooks. I also have a different setup, a primo XL with a cybercue controller. If I fill the firebox with good lump I’m gonna be fine UNLESS the power fails.

so the question is how long does your fuel last at a given temperature point? And if something goes wrong will the remote thermometer make enough racket to wake you up?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here