Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dinosaur Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dinosaur Ribs

Ive got some of the giant ribs on the WSM as we speak. They have been stuck at 165 since about 4:00 and its now almost 7;00, WSM has been between 225 and 250 the whole time. Anybody done them before, how long do I have to wait before they start to get hotter?

Usually a 7-8 hour cook for me.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	E8F79F71-F3B9-4E2C-A2DC-5B8EBCB390EF.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	879748Click image for larger version

Name:	6445D7D0-CA51-4B4A-AB4D-EF69ED08C875.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	879747 I do these all the time on my pellet grill Sounds like a typical stall. I cook mine at 250 and it usually takes around 8-9 hours. Don’t know when you put yours on.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look like chuck ribs, not the big plate ribs (dino ribs). They dinos are usually a 3 bone section about 9 inches long.

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes you are correct. But the plate ribs cook about the same for me. Same 8-9 hours.

Well at least I got an earlier start than usual. Put them on at 2 and they look to be bigger than those in the picture, 5lbs with 3 bones.
      Last edited by TxF; July 12, 2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. 8-9 hrs for those bad boys.
        A lot of people claim to get theirs done in 5-6 hrs. But they ain’t the big ones you got.
        And those are the real deal. 👊👊

Wrap em if you’re happy with the bark and/or you want them done sooner. You could crank it up to 275 as well.

Comment

I cook mine at 275. Usually takes 6-8 hours.

Comment

Thanks for all the help, turned out great just wasn’t expecting it to take 9 hrs.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            No pictures, never happened!

2nd attempt this time i turned up the heat to 275ish and spritzed them but didn’t wrap them. I’m going to give them an 8. I couldn’t eat them with a plastic fork, but the bark was much better, Only took 7 hrs this time, When I can trust my pit a bit more I can put these on at midnight and have them for lunch the next day.
          Attached Files

Comment

Or breakfast!

Comment

Just did some Porter Road Dinosaur Ribs (about 7.5lbs). Took around 11 hours (no wrap) and were fantastic!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a rack of those in the freezer. Wondered how long they would take to cook. What cooker temp did you run??

Jfrosty27 Only 4 months late on my response (it's been a busy 4 months!).....Treat em like brisket, I had them around 240-250F

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here