Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ribs Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Ribs Rack

Hey Ya'll.
    I got a good deal on a couple of rack of beef short ribs today and am having a hard time finding a good recipe for smoking them. Am I better of butchering them and cooking as individuals? I would like to do them as a rack, just never done it before. Thx! M

Easy to cook. Salt/pepper. 250f. Until they probe tender.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Toss em in whole. Bone side down.

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      What these guys said.....👍

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree, this is the way to go.

Killer! Thx, man!

Comment

Dry brine 24 hours in advance. Big Bad Beef Rub before smoking. 250° till probe tender (usually around 203°). If the meat is 1" thick they will take approximately 5 hours. 1.5" = 7 hours. 2" = 10 hours. Beef short ribs are definitely my favorite thing to smoke!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too. Just the best and really hard to screw it up too!

keep the racks intact. They look so awesome when the meat pulls back from the bones.

Season with either Big Bad Beef rub or Salt, Pepper and Garlic.

Comment

I've got them brining now.

Comment

Cook ‘em just like you would brisket. Bone side down, steady temp. Dry brine first, then do a pepper and garlic rub on them. Depending on how much meat is on them, going to be 7 or 8 hours at 250, roughly.

Comment

Usually takes 8-10 hours for me, cooking around 250. I usually dry brine and then just season with black pepper. Last time I used Hank’s Signature rub and it was fantastic. Wrap if the bark is where you want it, or just go all the way unwrapped. On these, I wrapped at around 180 internal temp.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	825867B7-2473-4215-AC85-73AB7FF92E03.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	879183Click image for larger version

Name:	9C9F39A1-633C-4EA1-99FE-831B14CAEEA5.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	879182

Comment

Thanks everyone. Got them brining and I'll let you know how they turn out tomorrow. It's almost got enough here to cook them without the smoker...115 tomorrow!

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Damn bro. I was seeing the temps out your way. Crazy sh£¥t.
                Hopefully you can keep your cooker under control that environment.
                Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Can’t wait to hear how you like them!

And I thought it was hot in New Mexico today....I will stop with the whining about 103 hope you have pool out by that smoker and some cold beverages!

Comment

• Parkin
                Parkin commented
                Editing a comment
                So far the smell is killing me! Temp has been a bit jumpy, but under control. I grew up in ABQ, and 103 is hot there....pool and drinks are a go. I just hit 107 here!

These took 6 hr and 15 minutes on a Yoder at 225 degrees. Then I wrapped them in foil and put into a cooler for an hour more.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Parkin
                Parkin commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks killer, man!

They were almost too rich! Could only eat one. I think I prefer the beef back ribs from a prime rib cut. Much less meat, but not quite as decadent.

Comment

Last time I cooked racks of short ribs ..... Just shy of 8 hours at 250F

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E4BF852-6B2A-4E14-8ECD-DDC4D458086E.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	879517

Comment

Rest assured that if th original intent was to make me suitably impressed, well, Gentlemen, I am there
                  Nice Job, all yall
                  Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 12, 2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Well...I'm at 4 hours right now. It's hot here and temp has been a bit jumpy, but my average, according to Fire Board is right at 250.2. Still a ways to go but damn! The smell is killing me!!!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Parkin; July 12, 2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here