Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket question

Smoking a brisket tomorrow and planning to crutch to 203 degrees per Meathead's method. I'd like to take it out of foil and cook it a bit more after that to dry and bark but don't want to overcook. Is it correct that the meat will actually drop in temp when doing this over indirect heat at 225 degrees for 30 minutes or so, so no worries about overcooking? I tried doing this last step over direct heat (gas grill) and created quite a grease fire, so I'm sticking to indirect. Thanks, and happy grilling to all this weekend!

if you over cook it it's not going to out right. The 203 is the target temp for tender brisket. I do mine a little different -- honestly I stole it from Aaron Franklin. I wrap mine with butcher paper after the stall and solid bark, pull at 203. At that point is has solid bark. he did a cook with 3 briskets: wrapped with foil, wrapped in butcher paper and not wrapped. I have had much better luck following Aaron's process but Meathead got me started on Smoking so I always refer and defer to him.

I would cation you on over cooking it. you might try unwrapping at 190/95. The last thing you want to do is over cook it. Getting the bark is done during the cooking process not after it's done.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
      FLBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw the video where he did the three briskets. Seeing how you wrap in butchers paper, what type of paper do you use and could you describe the way you wrap the brisket?

TIA

I have not put back on the heat after a wrap. Frankly, I have not seen the need. And I am a bark fiend! Every time you move that thing around, you loose some bark, potentially.

What you are looking for is probe tender, and not over cooking it. A regular brisket, for me the learning I'm doing is how to determine when its done, before its over done.

Comment

You may be fine. Yes it will drop in temp as soon as you unwrap since the meat will sweat, like taking your shirt off on a hot day you feel cooler. What I might suggest is letting your cooker drop in temp once you hit ~200-205 meat temp, to say 180 smoker temp, then unwrap. Keep your brisket in the open air @ 180 for a bit. You won't overcook it, you're in effect cambroing it in your smoker. Power cambro I call that. But like everyone else says, it's not really necessary. If you take it to 203 and hold it for 1-3 hrs still wrapped like most people do, and upon unwrapping you don't like the bark, your best bet may be to stick it under your oven broiler for ~5 min, watching it like a hawk. Then you'll simply treat the surface not the whole slab.

Some options to consider.

Comment

FLBuckeye I use pink butcher paper no wax in it. I get off Amazon. I use 2 sheets I don't have a particular approach other than to ensure its wrapped solid. My target temp is 203 but It must super easy to stick with a probe then pull it and let it rest. Not overly complicated

Comment

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I have seen that product on Amazon. Will get some.

Where is the probe for the 203 target being stuck in at. The point on mine right now is 205 but over on the left side, the flat, it's 190. In the middle it's 175?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here