Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you typically paying for beef tenderloin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you typically paying for beef tenderloin?

Strangely enough, I had never had beef tenderloin before. I saw some at the market nearest me for $6.99 a pound so I grabbed one and I thought it was incredibly good. My understanding is it's perhaps the best cut of the cow? Anyway, I grabbed another to freeze and now I'm wondering if I should have gotten more?

Click image for larger version

Name:	kYk7xteEvBtH9vUCFboBBRne0Oe3lo84oDgU6nSCZJl5scd6wyabmHs0m2Y2ZWLtC9qdj5PJ9ZhGwoDZe9CxQqJKBGBjq86Nxn-jSGme4JffSa19GokdKwcxW2Sh_muulfohv5BLVSw3LmdEVrhuntI4ElDAFI_HYZVWf806PhF-se5tVn-LIjYfRmFh0-R6noWazanG3Nll5BdDWKfpCnAcsl-TsvNyyMdpDEqtqt9Asq8YVfvarcvaXWkEMbp
Views:	244
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	877416

I talked to a guy picking one up at the local grocer with a $124+ tag attached. Closest I've gotten to gettin' one.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like I'm going to have to walk back over there. These are $20-25 at $6.99/lb. in cryovac.

That’s a steal. $10-12.99 per lb on sale here.

Comment

Haven't cooked a whole beef tenderloin, as well...

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, then I had been in very fine company until 2 days ago.

For prime about 20-25 per pound. Also whole untrimmed (side chain on) has a lot of waste. So factor that into the yield. Just paid 80 for a whole, completely cleaned one. It’s on now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECFD8E39-9772-4776-A487-C06FC16DA74D.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	877479

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree on the need to account for waste. I buy prime whole cryo at Sam's for, usually, $12.50 per. I think the yield ends up around $18 per. The trim goes to stir fry bits or gets ground. It occurs though that does it really matter (serious question) on this particular cut if it's prime or not? Marbling isn't really a feature. Am I unaware?

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Unclebob I think Prime always matters in tenderness. Maybe it’s just me but something does not have to be "totally marbled" to be called prime. I think they rate the animal as a whole then it’s butchered?? So to me prime matters in tenderness. In my experience you can have Meat butter without necessarily seeing a bunch of marbling. Of course marbeling is preferred. I made this point in a post by Marinehead where he questioned his Wagyu steak cook.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t believe inspectors are looking at each individual cut and determining the rating. That’s what I meant to say.

Oooooh! Get a few, make beef Wellington with one of those! That’s a killer price!

and if you do make beef Wellington, ya gotta make your own pastry dough too! You won’t regret it!@

Comment

That’s definitely a good price...I don’t know about that best cut on the cow thing though . There’s a lot of fantastic cuts of beef. I’d say the cap of ribeye, spinalis dorsi, is the best cut on the cow. The way beef prices are up here now, I can’t really find any beef besides ground beef that cheap.

Comment

That's a great price, if they still have them in stock I would buy a couple more!!

Comment

Buy! This is another cut I just look at and dream $$$$

Comment

I would have to agree. You are certainly skilled enough to make a "No Roll" or "Select" cut of meat turn out well.

Buy Buy Buy!

Comment

I don’t even look anymore and that goes for most beef

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me too. With the way prices have shot up, looking just makes me feel bad

Not that it matters any but for what it's worth I get it anywhere from Rands 99 to 149 per kg. That is for cleaned filet. So roughly $4.50 / # at the more expensive pricing.
                I will admit to not being a big fan. It is very tender but I find it lacking in beefyness. Wife enjoys above other steak cuts.

Comment

Update: Was just out shopping and saw whole tenderloin for $9.99/lb. That’s as good as I have ever seen it around here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here