Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-tip question: HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip question: HELP!

I just saw my first ever tri-tip for sale at a local supermarket (actually, there are 2 of them in the case.) If I were to buy one, what would I want to do with it as far as cooking technique and doneness?

This is how I cooked one yesterday

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...pbc-tri-tip-v2

Short version - reverse sear to whatever doneness you like your steak

Slice across grain.
    ​​​​​
    Last edited by BFlynn; July 8, 2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      And there you have it! Everything you need in one spot. 👍

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, BFlynn ! Another question: the tri-tips in the store were cryovaced and had substantial fat caps. Should I trim them off? All the way? Part way?

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the way.

I've always seen them as lean cuts. I would trim them.

Like this

​​​​​https://youtu.be/sNV_m2ShqVI
    ​​
    Last edited by BFlynn; July 8, 2020, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I'm cooking one right now. SV for about 8 hours at 131F, then sear and slice.

Not this one but previous done the same way:

Click image for larger version  Name:	tt-sp.jpg Views:	65 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	877463

And now here's the one I just made:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tt-caul-5.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	877915

Last edited by mgaretz; July 9, 2020, 03:22 PM. Reason: added new picture

Comment

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        OneEyedJack Tri tip will tenderize a bit with a longer soak. I frequently throw a tri tip in the sous vide bath at 131 before work and it’s ready for dinner when I get home. I sear over a full SnS, turning very frequently, before serving.

• OneEyedJack
        OneEyedJack commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking at the Joule app a littler closer, it appears that I need to treat the tri tip as a roast. Still, at the maximum thickness, 5-6", it recommends 6 hrs at 136*. I'll try this first and evaluate how I like the product. Thanks for all your input!

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        My tri-tips are never that thick - 2 to 2 1/2" max.

Here is a video link on how to slice the finished product https://youtu.be/HbvTtdmiISQ

Comment

Reverse seared to 129 then finished over hot coals. This one had a thick fat cap that I trimmed off.
        Attached Files

Comment

It’s a roast so cook it like would normally cook a roast. It has grains running in opposite directions starting at the apex of the triangle. One strategy is to observe the grain on either side, make a mark where you will slice it in half before you cook it. Slicing against the grain after cutting in half is made easier after the cook.

Comment

I use Worcestershire sauce, then rub with Trader Joe’s Coffee & Garlic plus Loot N Booty’s What’s Your Beef. Smoke at 250 to 128 degrees then sear for 2 minutes per side. See Avatar.

Comment

I prefer sous vide que for tri-tip.

Comment

Dry brine and reverse sear to your required doneness. Fantastic cut of meat.

Comment

• dugmik
                  dugmik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm going to try that technique on Tri-tip tonight, but have you used that technique on any other steak cuts?

Dewesq55 I've done several Tri Tip in the SV bath. My method is trim off fat cap (if it has one), dry brine, SV for 10-12 Hours @134 then Sear over very hot coals. Be sure to slice against the grain as it usually runs both ways.There are videos of the slicing. The grain running both ways surprised me at first. It's a Family Favorite at our house. One trick for guests that prefer it more done than medium is dip slicing in beef broth for a few seconds and the red pretty much disappears. A board sauce goes good with Tri Tip too.
                Last edited by Skip; July 9, 2020, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Since we all have opinions - I would front sear and not reverse sear. I also don't SV, where is the fun in that. For thick steaks and TT I front sear - why? Because I have more control over the bark (Maillard reaction). And for me, this is where all the flavor is. Grill it to your desired char or crust and then move it over to indirect and finish to your desired doneness. If you reverse sear to your desired doneness, then you have to grill to get your crust and there you can run into potential issues (e.g. the fire is not hot enough) of not getting the crust you want as the internal temp can keep rising.

For Rib Roasts, I reverse sear because the meat is so thick that when I grill it to get that tasty crust, it wont affect the internal temp.
                  Last edited by TripleB; July 9, 2020, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    dugmik - Not for me. I do the sear over the charcoal basket in the firebox then do the low and slow finish inside the cook chamber of the smoker with the Fireboard set to control the temp.

• TripleB
                    TripleB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    dugmik - I hear ya, but I know my grill and when I move the TT over to indirect to finish cooking I know the temp. And you're right the indirect temp is important. Reverse sear is a good method, but for my reasons I go front sear. Cheers!!
                    Last edited by TripleB; July 13, 2020, 10:18 PM.

• dugmik
                    dugmik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So the TT came out perfect last night using the reverse sear method, I can see the benefits in front searing. It seems like a much better way to control the final internal temperature of the meat. I'll try that next time.

Our favorite is Santa-Maria style, reverse-seared over a live oak fire. Dry brine, then season with black pepper, granulated garlic, a bit of celery seed and cayenne. Start the roast high above the fire to catch smoke and come up to temperature slowly. When at 110 F or so, drop it down low over the coals and sear.

Comment

• TripleB
                    TripleB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey neighbor. Next time you fire up your Santa Maria grill for some old town Tri-Tip, give me a holler. I'll bring over some cold brews.

• theroc
                    theroc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like a plan TripleB. Just as soon as this nasty pandemic retreats a bit.....

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds great, but I don't have any cooker that I can simulate a live fire Santa Maria grill with.
                    Last edited by Dewesq55; July 9, 2020, 06:59 PM.

So, I did manage to score one today. I think it's probably on the small side. It's 2.66 lbs with a fairly substantial fat cap. It is in cryovac, so I doubt or was trimmed at all. Maybe I'll get a chance to cook it this weekend.

Comment

• BFlynn
                    BFlynn commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I normally see them trimmed 1.7 - 2.3 lbs

• theroc
                    theroc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Excellent. Let us know how it turns out!

I like them and find them once a month, thats the size that they are. I have figured out 2 things. First is if you dont cut it right it is ruined, thats as much an art as cooking one. Second is if you have a choice get the best grade you can find. All I can get is Select and it may or may not be tough even when its cooked right and cut right. I would gladly pay more for a better grade, Ive seen them online for just a few $$ more than what I already pay for Prime Tri Tip.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here