Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu Steak -- not that great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I find it difficult to disagree with what most of you are saying I have cooked a lot of Wagyu Not in all cases do you find that truly extensive marbling. Some cuts are still Wagyu without that crazy marbling. You can’t say as a hard and fast rule it should look like "prime" for every piece of meat.

There are various ratings for the meat, various crossbreeds and the like. I am no cattle expert, I’ve just cooked a lot.

I have had some supremely tender, butter like meat that did not appear to have much marbeling at all. At least I thought it should’ve had more marbling and I was disappointed prior to cooking and tasting it.

So likely you were just missing something about the Cook. They look great in the photo though and it sounds like the only issue is they were just under.

I certainly agree that you can take a prime piece of meat up to medium and it should still be tender if it was cooked properly. Most definitely you can take a Wagyu cut to medium and it should be tender and delicious if cooked properly.

The tomahawks I did on the Fourth of July that are in the show us what you’re cooking thread (posted on the 6th I think) intentionally were taken to above medium rare to rest up to a medium or better. Those are dry aged prime tomahawks and they were outstanding.

We were feeding more than myself so rare to medium rare was out of the question.

Go back and buy that same cut of meat and try it again.

but whatever you do get yourself an instant read thermometer. I would highly recommend the ThermoWorks MK4. It is an outstanding device and you only have to buy it once. Other than that I would try the new one that just came out which I still can’t remember the name of as I find a thermalpop a bit bulky. It also doesn’t go to a very high temp if you’d like to use it for other things. Other than that I’d recommend the pro needle or the RTC 600.

Last edited by HouseHomey; July 8, 2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Do appreciate all the follow up !! For starters, the steaks I got looked NOTHING like the pics that are on here .....so now it makes me want to go back to the store (HEB here in Houston --- good meat department !) and see EXACTLY what I got. But secondly , it was operator error --- me. Didn't have enough heat given the time I had them on the grill , and as discussed, just went by feel instead of using a thermo . Lesson learned.

PS: Just got back from Willis, Texas where I spent the afternoon with my new best friends at Lone Star Grillz --- just laid the coin down for a smoker that will be ready in November ---- very excited !!

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow man!! Impressive. Steve B Loves them too. A handful of others here are ballen too. BTW the instaread is a "Dash" and it has all the great features of a thermapen energy for less. I fixed my horrible typing too. I just looked again and those steaks look bomb though they be "under." Also I may be wrong, it might be the other with the low max temp. I may have had it backwards. Caveat Emptor. Congratulations on the new rig sir!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome. And congrats.
        What did you end up going with?

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, that MCS virus hit you hard!!!...LOL. So which smoker/cooker did you order? I've been eyeballing these for awhile.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here