Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu Steak -- not that great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu Steak -- not that great

I'm on the Weber Kettle tonite, and decided to put a couple of Wagyu steaks on . Never done those before (usually NY strips, and Ribeyes) Put them over direct heat, 5 min one side, about 4 minutes on the other, and then took them to indirect heat for about 8-9 minutes. The grill was around 400 or so. Now that I'm eating, the meat is too chewy for my taste, and more rare .

Anything different I need to know about Wagyu ??

What cut of steak did you cook?

Comment

You'd ask that ...... from what I can tell, it looked alot like a cut you'd expect on a NY Strip. Not near the marbling of the standard strips and ribeyes that they were next to. That help ?

Comment

A little, it just sounds like you ended up with a tougher cut and not a true strip or ribeye.

Comment

Still eating away --- just really rare , too rare ! When I put the steaks over the coals, the thermometer read about 350. When moved them over, the temp got up to 400, but I took them off after about 8-9 minutes of indirect cooking .
          Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a digital thermometer? That's the only way to be absolutely sure your protein is cooked to your desired temp.

Comment

You say plenty about what your cooker temp was. What was the steak temp?

Without an instant read thermometer you can never cook to the exact doneness you want, and are just guessing. You cannot cook steaks by time like that and expect great or consistent results - especially if trying a different cut of meat.

For example, I usually do a reverse sear or front sear, where the steaks is done over screaming hot coals or really high heat for a couple of minutes, turning every 30 seconds or so, to get the color I want. I do the rest of the cook indirect at lower heat around 225. When the steak hits 130 it comes off, as carry over cooking will take it to 135 for medium rare. For my wife, I take it to 140, as she likes medium-well or 145.

Jim

Comment

Yep --- I have NO clue as to what the temp was --- just went with what I'm used to seeing on the standard steaks I usually grill .

The good news is that I JUST bought the Maverick Kit from SNS Grills, so I'll plug that in (never used probes before) . It's a pride thing, you know ???

Like , I just have the "feel" of the meat kind of thing ........but not tonite , for sure.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s a good start, but the Maverick is not ideal for most steak cooks, as you don’t want to run the cables over direct heat. It’s more for indirect cooking or long smokes. You need an instant read digital for these type cooks. A Thermopop is a good example of this type thermometer.

• mnavarre
                  mnavarre commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I look at it this way: The probe thermometer is there to tell you when it's time to start checking with an instant read.

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You'd make a good South African "Braai master". Thermometers are not used and I've come to realise it's a "pride" thing. Every since I learnt about the importance of owning a thermo and using it the guess work is eliminated. I've tried convincing people these parts about it's importance but nobody's listening.
                  If you want it cooked to your desired perfection you have to use a thermometer.

I just got a couple new instant read thermometers.
                The thermopro tp03 gets the job done and is less than $15 on Amazon.
                Best money you can spend on cooking equipment

Comment

• BBQPhil
                  BBQPhil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought one as well and for $15 you can't go wrong, especially since my $100 Thermopen's housing cracked after 2 yrs.

Hi. I’m Erik and I’m a ThermoWorks addict.

I bought the new one and really like it. I need the mini though as it doesn’t fit in my sleeve pocket.

I really like the new one. I forgot the name.

"my only issue with ThermoWorks instareads is the clip need to be on the case rather than the thermometer itself. This make no sense. Their products often fall below the stitch on the inside of my sleeve pocket."

I Hope some one there is listening as I’ve shouted this for years now.

ok, I’m done.

That steak looks great though.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me too. Just got two Thermopops. Got the Thermapen IR, but I really want a IR gun. And the IR Pocket.

aside from the temp... something sounds wrong. A wagyu cut should be pretty heavily marbled with fat running throughout the meat. But you say this as lean?

Comment

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good point and same thought here. Lack of marbling doesn’t sound like any Wagyu I’ve ever seen whether pure or even cross breed.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I’ll third this.

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sirloin is a popular cut with Wagyu in Japan, which might explain the lighter marbling. But real wagyu should have prime or beyond marbling, cut for cut.

JF —. an instant read thermometer — Done !!

Rick — it was NOT as marbled —. No way . Now that I think about it, I may have gotten the sirloin cut .

At the end of the day , I just didn’t cook these well. Didn’t keep them on the grill long enough , and I think I didn’t have the usual amount of heat . I have been grilling steaks with NO temp reading of any kind, and I just did replace the lid w/ a thermometer . Will get the instant read you guys mention , and go after it again

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I also wonder about the source of the 'wagyu'. They should have been at least prime level marbling.

If it looks much less marbled than a reg NY strip (could look close to prime) then its probably not wagyu. In my experience wagyu usually cooks faster and is actually more forgiving because of the fat content. I prefer to take them a little higher in internal temp than i would with choice or prime grade.

This was an american wagyu chuckie i cooked recently. And also an american wagyu flat iron. Very (very) visible marbling.

Comment

• Pobeque
                  Pobeque commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with this....wagyu has a higher fat content, so you need to render a little more than a standard prime grade and take temp up to almost medium. That'll render and melt more of the fat and it'll be a nicer eat

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks great, where did you buy that?

• grantgallagher
                  grantgallagher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HouseHomey regalis

Could it be that the butcher "mislabeled" them? My wife bought some prime "ribeyes" the other week that were CLEARLY not ribeyes. They were strip steaks. Still delicious. But the packaging and the product didn't match.

I'm assuming this was a one-off, and someone just made an honest mistake. I know the folks at the grocery are overloaded.

Comment

I have had some American Wagyu sirloins from Snake River Farms before and while they aren't as tender as a ribeye they are still delicious and plenty tender to eat. Could be you just got a bad steak? The cooking time on something like that shouldn't be too much different than any other steak.

And yeah, get an instant read thermometer. The Thermopop does the job for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here