Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Wagyu - Part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Wagyu - Part 3

For my next installment featuring local and regionally sourced American Wagyu beef, I purchased a really nice full packer brisket from the A Bar N Ranch folks. Their retail operation is out of Celina, Texas just north of Dallas. Check out their website for various mail order offerings, A Bar N Ranch.

One thing that has always attracted me to the American Wagyu cross breed are the benefits you get from the meat itself. From their website I think they say it best....

"For years the American public has been told that all fat is bad, but we are here to tell you that our fat is good. That’s because Wagyu is intensely marbled with softer fat, it has higher percentages of monounsaturated fats, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and is lower in cholesterol than commodity beef. Meaning that our Wagyu is not only rich in taste and tenderness, but it is perfectly suitable for a well-balanced and healthy diet."

Regardless I gotta say this was absolutely one of the best full packer briskets I've had in a long time. I'd put it up against a comparable SRF brisket any day. What struck me right off the bat was the fact that it came fully trimmed, not sure I've ever seen that to the degree they presented it....
    Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	970.1 KB ID:	876283

I did go ahead and cut away some of that hard deckle fat between the flat and point, that never really renders anyway. Note the striations in the meat, this thing was beautifully marbled. Other than less than a pound of fat cutout, he was ready to go right from the cryovaced package ...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	558.5 KB ID:	876284

Started out about 12# so with the small cutout I got a great yield right around 11#, an outstanding value. Unfortunately we have a problem eating even 11# of brisket so I did what I usually do and cut off the front half of the flat to make pastrami and the other point end became my weekend cook....

Click image for larger versionName:	brisket 03.jpgViews:	0Size:	906.4 KBID:	876285Click image for larger versionName:	brisket 04.jpgViews:	0Size:	817.3 KBID:	876286

The wife prefers medium rare meat period. Obviously the only way to get a brisket medium rare is to sous vide it, so I went ahead and did a full blown QVQ treatment on it. After wet aging for about 45 days, a 30 hour dry brining with Kosher salt and a seasoning of POG, I smoked the point until it reached 125*F internal in my 22" fan controlled Weber with some chunks of cherry wood to get the bark initially established.

I let it cool down a bit then double bagged it and put it in a 130*F SV bath for 52 hours. It was done late Saturday night so I shocked it in ice water and refrigerated it until the next day. On Sunday I de-bagged, reapplied my seasoning and again set it on the same kettle at the same temperature until it got back up to about 125*F internal once again. Wrapped it in foil and placed it in the oven while we made the rest of the meal.

Nothing short of spectacular, ate just like rare roast beef. Every piece, from the tail end of the flat to the middle of the point was fully rendered, medium rare and amazingly tender. In fact I cubed up part of the point muscle that was closer to rare and we ate them with toothpicks like little pieces of A5 Wagyu appetizers !!

Well obviously this method and result aren't for everyone. I think it's safe to say that smoking this traditionally to probe tender would yield excellent results as well. I really like the way the fat kept the meat super moist and tender. There were sections where the fat got a bit thick but that was easily cut out and discarded. Needless to say, I really do endorse this purveyor's products. I have some tri-tips from them that I will feature in a future segment as well.

So enough chit-chat, let's let the star of the show off his stuff......

Click image for larger version  Name:	QVQ Brisket 05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.01 MB ID:	876290Click image for larger version  Name:	QVQ Brisket 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.27 MB ID:	876287Click image for larger version  Name:	QVQ Brisket 02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.47 MB ID:	876291Click image for larger version  Name:	QVQ Brisket 06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.72 MB ID:	876289Click image for larger version  Name:	QVQ Brisket 07.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.73 MB ID:	876288

Hope everyone enjoyed their 4th of July holiday !!! Trout is out !!!
    Last edited by Troutman; July 6, 2020, 09:45 AM.

Damn! I have to find out if they ship. Looks delicious.

Comment

Wow! I don’t know where to begin. So, it’s wow!

Comment

Welp....there’s not enough superlatives in the dictionary to describe this....
        A1....A1

Comment

I just placed an order at A bar N Ranch. There was a promo code for 20% off the entire site. I ordered boneless ribeye, a chuckie, flat iron, and a teres minor(?). Anyway, your posts tipped me. My first time buy anything like this. Fingers crossed. 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Comment

Less than a pound of trimmings...…………………………….impressive.

Well, that, and the amount of effort you went through to satisfy your bride and make the finished product the way you both wanted it.

Comment

Now that is an impressive piece of beef. The before shots - well, I'll just say that my reaction was so extreme that I had to reprint the drawing I was working on. My highlighter just kind of ran across the drawing all on its own. The after is pretty pretty too!!!

Comment

Ya got my mouth waterin' and I just ate...

Comment

What an awesome brisket!

Comment

That looks amazing!

Mailman must have taken my invitation
                    ​

Comment

Do they provide you with any kind of the genetics? Is it the typical Angus cross breed? Fantastic looking hunk of meat and looks like they know what they are doing with the trim too.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Check out the website. They appear to have the genetic material available for cross breeding. It appears they do breed a pure strain of Wagyu then cross breed with black Angus. The brisket above is a result of that cross breeding.

That is one of the most amazing briskets I've seen (pre-cook). Looks great post-cook too. Was there a fat cap at all?

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        58limited Yea there was a near perfect 1/4". It was like the guy read my mind, a near perfect trim job.

• 58limited
                        58limited commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Awesome! Just hit their page up for a brisket - "SOLD OUT" I was impressed with the tritip I bought, still haven't cooked the flatiron or skirt steaks.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here