Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get the ultimate char on a lean steak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to use a cast iron griddle with a weight on top. Generally I will get the skillet hot, but not piping hot. Or you end up burning the steak.

Comment

Tonight: Oakridge BBQ carne crosta. Used "beef love" with a cast iron pan about 500-550 degrees.

I really, really enjoy a steak rub with beef love. Carne crosta is great, but I think Char Crust Garlic Peppercorn is my favorite.
      Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried reverse sear?

It sounds like you sear first and then finish. Try the other way around.

I get a decent char on my grillgrates on my gasser. But cast iron works too

​​​​​https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-steaks-recipe

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_120236.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	876576 This was the result of using the smooth side of grill grates on an M Grill M-16. I sprayed each side of the steak with canola oil, placed on the grill and placed the M Grill steak press on top. Grill temp taken with an IR thermometer was about 500-600. Kept flipping. Steak was only 1 1/3 inch, thick so all direct, but if it was thicker I'd finish indirectly at the other end of the grill. The steak was prepared with salt 3 hrs in advance and then some Carne seasoning noted above.
          Last edited by BBQPhil; July 6, 2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Sous vide. Seared with beef love and carne crosta on a cast iron pan.
            Attached Files

Comment

I got a decent char on the side burner of my gasser, with a CI skillet hitting 500 degrees. Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	877260

Comment

Hmm...depends on the thickness of the steak for me. On thicker cuts 1.5-2+ inches, I do a brown butter baste method. Stainless pan with ALOT of butter over medlow-med heat. Once butter starts browning, add steak (i prefer to dry brine overnight) and just let it ride. Just keep flipping and basting every few minutes until the crust gets going. You can add herbs, garlic etc into butter and baste the aromatics over the meat is it goes. Main focus is to not burn the butter. The pan should never be smoking. Once it gets to your desired temp, rest on a rack for 10 mins. Just before slicing, reheat butter and pour over steak to reheat outside. What I like about this method is that you can do it indoors and not smoke out the house. Now, the main issue I see with this method on the internet is that the SV and RS folks will come after it because you WILL NOT have the sear to sear pink color. There will be a gradient, but the flavor and texture will overcome and as long as its seasoned and not overcooked it'll still be perfectly juicy.

As for a thinner cut, either a screaming hot pan or a screaming hot grill/charcoal. Make sure surface is as dry as possible and flip every minute until done
                Last edited by Pobeque; July 8, 2020, 02:30 PM. Reason: I tried to upload a pic of the steak done this way, but it doesn't want to upload

Comment

Dragon chimney. Forced air gets the coals to well over 1000F. Sear on a skewer maybe an inch from
                  the coals. If you don’t have flat skewers, a grate is okay but you’ll have to keep flipping/moving it every few seconds or the bars will burn it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	542AD7E7-B3B7-470D-AC7F-111E0612DEAC.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	877420Click image for larger version

Name:	28E30449-DED5-4E6A-AE9D-6453EFCDE89D.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	877421Click image for larger version

Name:	705388A7-A190-4C42-9F5A-ED734CB62AB5.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	877422Click image for larger version

Name:	9B436F00-4B1B-4539-B70B-838BDAAAF0D8.jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	877423

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here